The official Android 7.0 Nougat update is rolling out in India for the Galaxy A5 2016 devices. Check the instructions listed in this post if you wish to manually complete the new update.
The new update is being rolled out in stages for all users, but not all of them are going to get the new files at the same time as other lucky ones.
Check the guidelines below in order to learn what to do before starting the update:
- use the tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 India models.
- the model number of your device has to be the SM - A510FD.
- check the model of your phone under Settings> About Device.
- download and install the Samsung USB drivers from here on your PC.
- the usb drivers will allow your PC to detect the phone when connected via usb cable.
- for the update you will use the ODIN app.
- ODIN is a small tool designed to help Samsung users update their phones manually, and for it to work with your PC you need to install the above usb drivers and to enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- the Developer Options might be hidden, go to Settings> About Device> Software Info and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
Return to Settings, find Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- you can flash this new update over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access won't survive the new update process.
- any custom Recovery that you might have flashed will be replaced with stock Recovery.
- you can install the new update with ODIN over a custom ROM, and if you do this you will also have to Factory Reset the system partition.
- the Factory Reset process will only delete the system partition, it removes the old custom ROM and it will allow your Galaxy A5 2016 to boot in normal mode.
The Factory Reset won't remove the data from internal storage.
- if the OS installed on your device runs a stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this post.
- check the whole tutorial and do not skip any steps.
- this guide is destined to be used by advanced users only.
- we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files in the process.
These were all steps you had to go over before starting the flashing process of Android 7.0 update for your device.
If you are unsure about installing the update manually, then you can choose to wait until Samsung India pushes the new firmware files over-the-air in your region. You can check for new files by going to Settings> Software Update> Download Updates manually. If a new firmware file is available as an OTA Download, then you simply have to confirm process and your device will take care of the rest of the process.
How to install Android 7.0 Update for India Galaxy A5 SM-A510FD:
- Download the Android 7.0 Nougat official firmware update file from here.
- When the download process is complete you can extract the archived contents.
You will obtain the Android 7.0 A510FXXU4CQDL tar.md5 firmware update file.
- don't extract the tar.md5 firmware update file.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
When the download is done you have to extract the archived contents.
- Power off your Galaxy A5.
- Boot the phone in Download Mode now.
- Launch ODIN exe on your computer.
- Connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
Wait for ODIN to detect the phone and then continue to the next step.
- if the phone is not added you need to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- Go to ODIN and click on AP.
- Find and load the A510FXXU4CQDL tar.md5 firmware update file in ODIN.
- Now press START to begin the Android 7.0 official update process.
- don't press any buttons until the new update is done installing.
- When installation is done you can see the PASS alert, the phone reboots and you can unplug it from the PC.
Wait for the first boot to complete and then take control over your device by using your default login info.
These were the steps you had to follow in order to complete the Android 7.0 Nougat official update for your India Galaxy A5 2016 device.
If the FAIL alert is displayed by the ODIN tool, then you will be forced to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat installation you need to make sure that you won't skip any steps and that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
If the PASS message is shown by the ODIN app, but your phone enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes, then you should Factory Reset the device.
The Factory Reset steps below should be applied by those that have installed the Android 7.0 Nougat update over a custom ROM, too. Factory Resetting the smartphone will wipe it clean of all system files, as the system partition will be removed.
No data will be lost from the internal storage of your device.
Here's how to Factory Reset your phone:
- power off the device
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- reboot the device in normal mode and you are done with this process.
If you need more help completing the installation you need to tell us in comments below.