The official Android 8.0.0 Oreo update is now being rolled out by Virgin Mobile USA for the Samsung Galaxy S7 devices.
Check the tutorial below and all the info in order to learn how to manually install this new firmware for your smartphone.
These updates are normally launched in stages, which means that not everyone will get the new files at the same time. If you are an advanced user and you wish to know how to complete the Oreo 8.0.0 update, then you should check the guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only for the Virgin Mobile USA Samsung Galaxy S7 devices.
- check the model of your device by going to Settings> About Phone and make sure that there SM - G930P version is listed there.
- do not attempt to update any other devices with the files found in this post.
- download and install the Samsung USB Drivers from here.
- install the drivers in order to make sure that the ODIN app will detect the phone when connected via usb cable.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options from your phone's menu.
- if you cannot find Developer Options you should go to Settings> About Phone> Software Information and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- get back to Settings and Developer Options will be listed there.
- ODIN is capable of installing this new firmware update over rooted firmware, but this will remove root access.
- you can flash the new update over a custom ROM, too, but you will need to apply an extra factory reset process, so that the phone will be able to boot in normal mode.
- the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of the tutorial.
- apply the Factory Reset process only if the phone can't boot in normal mode.
- use the guide only if you are an advanced user.
- we can't be held responsible in case you end up bricking the device nor in case you lose any important data files.
- read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps.
How to flash Android 8.0.0 Oreo Official Update for Virgin Mobile USA Samsung Galaxy S7 G930P:
- Download the firmware archive file from here.
- After the download is completed successfully you have to extract the archived contents. Save the files on your PC.
You will obtain several files with the tar.md5 update files.
- Download Odin 3.13.1 zip from here.
- unzip the contents.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe on the computer.
- Connect your device to PC using the USB Cable.
- wait until ODIN detects the phone and then get to the next step.
- if the phone is not added you need to reinstall the USB drivers.
- Get to Odin's main screen and start loading all the new Android 8 Oreo G930PVPU6CRE7 update files.
Click BL and load the BL_G930PVPU6CRE7 tar.md5 file.
Click AP and load the AP_G930PVPU6CRE7 tar.md5 file.
Click CSC and load the HOME_CSC_G930PVPU6CRE7 tar.md5 file. Don't load the file that contains only CSC in the name without HOME_CSC.
Click CP and load CP_G930PVPU6CRE7 tar.md5 update file.
- Press START when you're ready to begin the Android 8.0.0 Oreo official update.
- do not press anything until the update is done.
- When installation is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
If the installation is done you will see the PASS alert shown by ODIN.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode. Unplug it from PC and you should be done with this post.
If the installations FAILs you will have to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat the tutorial you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't be skipping any steps listed above.
If the PASS alert is displayed by the ODIN app, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you will have to factory reset the Galaxy S7.
The Factory Reset process should be applied by those that have installed the Android 8.0.0 Oreo official update over a custom ROM, too.
Here's how to factory reset the device:
- power off the phone.
- boot the Galaxy S7 in Recovery Mode.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- reboot the phone in normal mode.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments below.