The new Android 8.0.0 official update is being rolled out for all Canadian Galaxy S8 plus users.
Check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to manually install the new Oreo 8.0 OS update. These updates are being rolled out in stages which means that not everyone gets the OTA Android 8.0.0 notification at the same time.
For the official update to Android 8.0.0 you will need to use the ODIN tool. The update can be easily flashed over stock firmware. You can also flash this new update over custom ROMs, but you will have to apply an extra factory reset step in order to force your smartphone to boot in normal mode.
Before starting the installation of this new official Oreo update you will need to check the guidelines below. Make sure that your Galaxy S8 Plus Canada model meets all requirements and then start the update.
This guide has to be used only for the Canadian Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus smartphones. The phone's model has to be SM - G955W.
Don't use this tutorial for any other different smartphones.
Download Samsung USB drivers from here. Install the drivers on your computer.
For the update you will use the ODIN tool, and for it to work you need to install the above usb drivers, and to enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
The Developer Options might be hidden, so you will be forced to enable this menu first: go to Settings> About Phone> Software Information and here you need to tap seven times on the Build Number text.
Get back to Settings and Developer Options will be listed there. Open Dev Options, find USB Debugging and enable it.
Odin can install the Android 8.0 official update over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access won't survive the installation. Any custom recovery that you might have flashed will also be replaced stock Recovery.
Odin is capable of flashing official Android 8.0.0 update over a custom ROM. But, if you want to do this you will need to Factory Reset the phone after the update is done installing. The Factory Reset process wipes clean system partition and it allows your Galaxy S8 Plus to boot in normal mode.
The Factory Reset process won't remove any files from internal storage.
The steps teaching you how to factory reset the device are listed at the of the tutorial.
If your Canada Galaxy S8 Plus runs 100% stock firmware you can continue straight to the next part of this tutorial.
Read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
This guide has to be used by advanced users, we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files during installation.
How to manually update Galaxy S8 Plus Canada Unlocked to Android 8.0.0 Oreo:
- Download the Android 8.0.0 G955WVLU2BRB7 archive from here.
- After the download is done you should extract the archived contents. Save the obtained files on your PC.
- note that you will obtain six files.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
- unzip contents.
- Power off the device.
- Boot your smartphone in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect the Galaxy S8 Plus to computer using the USB cable.
- Odin should detect the phone.
- if the phone is not added you need to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Now you have to load the Android 8.0.0 update files in Odin:
- click AP button and load the corresponding G955WVLU2BRB7 tar.md5 file with AP in the name.
- click BL and load the G955WVLU2BRB7 tar.md5 file with BL in the name.
- click CP and load firmware file with CP in its name.
- click CSC and load G955WVLU2BRB7 tar.md5 firmware file with HOME_CSC in the name. Don't load the file with only CSC in the name, as that one will tell ODIN to wipe clean the smartphone.
- Press START to begin the Android 8.0.0 official for your Galaxy S8 Plus device.
- do not press anything until the update is done installing.
- After the install is done you can see reboot the phone.
Unplug the Galaxy S8 Plus from computer and wait for Android 8.0 Oreo to complete first boot.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the Android 8.0 Oreo official update for your Galaxy S8 plus device.
In case the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN, then you will have to apply an extra factory reset and force the device to boot in normal mode. If you repeat the installation you need to make sure that your Galaxy S8 Plus device meets all requirements, and that you won't skip any steps.
If Odin shows the PASS alert, but your phone enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes, then you will have to Factory Reset the system partition.
The Factory Reset steps below should be applied by those that have installed the Android 8.0 official ROM over a custom ROM, too. Here's how to factory reset the device:
- power off the device.
- boot it in Recovery mode.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- reboot your device in normal mode.
If you need any more help you can tell us in comments.