Google has rolled out the official Android 8.0 System Image builds for all the Google Pixel users.
Android 8.0 Oreo is the brand new OS launched by Google and I know that before the OTA Update files are rolled out in your region you can choose to install a factory image instead, in order to get to test all the new features first.
In this post you can find the instructions on how to flash this new factory image for the following Google Pixel carriers: Sprint, T-Mobile, Project Fi, US Cellular, Telstra, and Rogers. If you are on one of these carrier then you should be able to complete the Oreo OS factory image.
The Factory Image of Android 8.0 Oreo allows users to restore their phones to stock Android firmware, or you can simply use them to upgrade the phone to a brand new OS build. Please note that by flashing such factory image you will end up deleting all the data files from your device.
Before starting the updating process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this post only for the Google Pixel phones on the following US and Canadian Carriers: Telstra, Rogers, T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular and Project Fi.
- do not use the tutorial for other different Google Pixel models.
- enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock options from the Developer Options menu.
– if Developer Options is not listed under Settings, then you will have to unhide it: go to Settings> About Device and tap 7 times on the Build Number text.
– return to Settings, open Developer Options and then enable both settings.
- make sure to backup all the important data files before starting the installation process, as the Android 8.0 Factory Image installation will wipe everything from your smartphone.
- this guide has to be applied by advanced users only.
- don’t blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files.
- read the whole tutorial and do not skip any steps.
- if you need more help completing the guide you should tell us in comments.
First thing that you have to do is to setup the Android ADB and Fastboot drivers for your computer.
How to setup Android and Fasboot ADB drivers before installation:
The info below will teach you how to successfully install the new drivers that will let you connect your computer with the Google Pixel device.
Here’s how to do it:
- download Platform-Tools zip from the links below, but make sure to get the one file corresponding to your Computer OS:
– for Windows click here.
– for Linux click here.
– for Mac OS click here.
- when the download is done you need to extract the archived contents.
– save all the extracted files in the Platform-Tools folder.
- next, download and install the Google USB drivers from here.
When done with these instructions you can get to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 8.0 OREO for Google Pixel:
Remember that this guide is only supporting various US and Canadian carriers, they are listed above the tutorial.
- Download the Android 8.0 Factory Image file from here.
- After the download is done you will need to extract the archived contents.
Place the obtained files in the Platform-Tools folder.
- Switch off the phone.
- Boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Connect the Google Pixel to PC via usb cable. Make sure that the device is detected, then continue to the next step.
If the phone is not added you need to reinstall the Fastboot adb drivers.
- Get to Platform-Tools folder and launch a command prompt right there.
- Enter the following command in the Terminal / Command Prompt window to unlock the phones bootloader: fastboot flashing unlock Confirm. Note that this process will wipe clean your entire phone.
- Return to Platform-Tools after the bootloader is unlocked.
- Launch the Flash-all.bat installer script to begin the Android 8.0 Oreo factory image installation.
– for Linux or Mac OS computers use the Flash-all.sh script instead.
Confirm the installation process.
- When the install of Android 8.0 Oreo System image is done you can reboot your phone.
Unplug it from your device and then wait for it to boot in normal mode.
Use your default Google account in order to regain control over it.
If you need more help completing the tutorial, then you can tell us below.