The Android 8.0 Oreo Factory Image files are available for download, and you can flash them on your Google Pixel XL.
This tutorial is destined to be used by users in the US and Canada that are using one of the following carriers: Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Rogers/ Fido, Bell, Telstra and Telus. If you’ve bought your smartphone from one of these carriers, and you want to restore/ update the Google Pixel XL to stock Android 8.0, then you are in the right place.
The installation of a brand new Android 8.0 Factory Image will delete all the files stored on your phone, because you are forced to unlock the device’s bootloader. The guide is also a great tool to use by those that are running a custom ROM on their Google Pixel XL device.
Here’s what you need to know before starting the factory image installation:
- this guide is destined to be used by users of Google Pixel XL devices on US and Canadian carriers: T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular, Bell, Rogers/ Fido, Telstra and Telus.
- do not attempt to update any other different Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- you have to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from the Developer Options menu.
– the Developer Options might be hidden, which is why you have to unhide it first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
– return to Settings, open Developer Options and enable the two options.
- note that the installation of Android 8.0 system image is going to wipe clean the entire device, and no file will survive the flashing process.
– the files are deleted during the Bootloader Unlocking process.
- this is a guide that you have to use only if you are an advanced user, as we cannot be blamed in case you brick it or in case you lose any important data files.
- read the whole post and don’t skip any steps listed above and below.
- check the battery charge level, and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the phone powers off completely.
Since you’ve read all that you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 8.0 OREO Factory Image for Google Pixel XL:
The first thing you need to do is to setup the Android and Fastboot ADB drivers on your computer. Here’s how to do it:
- download the Platform-Tools.zip from the following links:
– for Linux OS click here.
– for Mac OS click here.
– for Windows click here.
- get the file that corresponds to your computer OS.
- after the download is done you need to extract the archived contents and save them on your PC.
Leave the folder named as Platform-Tools.
- download the Google USB drivers from here and install them on your PC.
Now you can get to the installation part of this post and learn how to flash the factory image file.
- Download the Android 8.0 OREO Factory Image for Google Pixel XL (US Canada models) from here.
- When the download is done you need to extract the archived contents and save them on your PC. Place the files in the Platform-Tools directory.
- Switch off the Pixel XL device.
- Boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Go to Platform-Tools folder and launch a command prompt/ terminal window there.
- Now you can connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
– make sure that the Pixel XL has been detected and you can continue to the next step.
- Unlock the Pixel XL bootloader using the following command line: fastboot flashing unlock
- Now you can get back to Platform-Tools folder and launch the Flash-all.bat Android 8.0 Oreo installer script.
- Confirm the factory image installation. Don’t press any button until the flashing process is done.
- When installation is done you can unplug the phone from PC and you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
Note that the first boot process will take a while before it completes.
- Use your default Google account in order to regain control over your device.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the Android 8.0 Oreo factory image installation on your Google Pixel XL phone.
If you need any extra help you can tell us below.