Sprint has started to update the new and improved Android 8.0 Oreo Update for all the CDMA Galaxy S8 users on their network.
These updates are being rolled out in stages for all users, but since not everyone will get the new files at the same time, then you can use the instructions below to install the new firmware.
The update process can be done using ODIN app, and this makes the guide viable for users that are looking to install the update over a custom ROM, too. If you are an advanced user, then you should be able to complete the new Android 8.0 Oreo update easily for your Galaxy S8 AT&T phone. Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- the tutorial works only for the Sprint CDMA variant of the Samsung Galaxy S8 devices.
- don't use the guide in case you've bought the phone from other carrier.
- the model number of your phone has to be SM - G950U1.
- don't use the guide for other Galaxy devices.
- download the Samsung USB drivers from here, and then install them on your PC.
- for the update process you will use the ODIN 3.13.1 app.
- in order for Odin to work with your device you will have to install the above drivers and to enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- if you can't find Developer Options under the Settings menu, then you will have to unhide that first.
- go to Settings> About phone> Software Information and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- return to Settings, find Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- you can flash the new update over rooted firmware, but you need to know that root access won't survive the installation.
- any custom Recovery you might have flashed will be replaced with stock Recovery.
- the new update can be installed over custom ROMs, too, but you will need to apply an extra factory reset process in order to force your device to boot in normal mode.
- the Factory Reset process is going to wipe clean the system partition, and it will force the new official Android 8 Oreo ROM to boot in normal mode.
- the Factory Reset won't delete any data files from internal storage.
- make sure to apply the Factory Reset only in case you will install the official update over a custom ROM.
- in case your device runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this post, as no data will be lost in the process.
- this guide has to be used by advanced users only, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- check battery charge levels and make sure that there is at least 40% charge left before the device drains completely.
These were the guidelines you had to go over before starting the flashing process.
How to install Android 8.0.0 Oreo Update for Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8:
- Download the Android 8.0.0 G950U1UEU2CRB9 Oreo archive update file from here.
- When the download is completed you can extract the archived contents on your PC.
You will obtain the G950U1UEU2CRB9 tar.md5 Oreo update files. There will be five different files - save them all on your computer.
- Download ODIN 3.13.1 zip from here.
- extract the contents and save them on your PC.
- Power off the device.
- Now boot the Sprint CDMA Galaxy S8 in Download Mode.
- Open Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect your Galaxy S8 Sprint device to PC via usb cable.
- wait for ODIN to add the phone and then get to the next step.
In case your phone is not added you need to reinstall the usb drivers.
- Get to ODIN main screen.
- Click BL and load the BL_G950U1UEU2CRB9 tar.md5 file.
Click AP and load the AP_G950U1UEU2CRB9 tar.md5 file.
Click CP and load the CP_G950U1UEU2CRB9 tar.md5 file.
Click CSC and load the HOME_CSC G950U1UEU2CRB9 tar.md5 file. Don't load the file that only contains CSC in its name, as that one will wipe clean the smartphone.
- Click START and confirm the flashing process.
- don't press any buttons until the installation is done.
- When all files are flashed you can see the PASS alert and the phone will reboot in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC and wait for first boot to be completed.
Use your default login info in order to regain control over your device.
These were the instructions you had to go over in order to complete the update.
If the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN, then you have to repeat the installation once more. Note that in case you repeat installation you need to make sure that you won't skip any steps and that your phone meets all requirements posted above.
If the PASS message is shown by ODIN, but your phone enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 20 minutes without loading anything, then you have to Factory Reset the phone and force it to boot in normal mode.
Here's how to Factory Reset your Sprint CDMA Galaxy S8 from Recovery Mode:
- power off the device.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- reboot phone in normal mode and you're done.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments below.