Google has released the official Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory images for all International Google Pixel 2 XL smartphones.
If you want to flash the new factory image for your device, then you can follow the instructions we've posted below.
Installing a factory image on your Pixel 2 XL phone will wipe all the data completely from your smartphone. It would be best for you to backup all important files before starting the installation process.
This guide is great in case you wish to restore the Pixel 2 XL phone to 100% stock Android 8.1.0 Oreo firmware, and get rid of any modification you might have applied until now.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this guide only for the Google Pixel 2 XL phones.
- do not install the new firmware for other different devices.
- enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock options from the Developer Options menu.
- the Developer Options might be hidden, which is why you have to enable this first: go to Settings> About Phone and here you need to tap seven times on the Firmware Build Number text.
- return to Settings, find Developer Options and enable both USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.
- this Android 8.1.0 factory image flashing process will wipe everything from your phone, so you should backup all the important data before starting the flashing process.
- this tutorial has to be applied only if you are an advanced user.
- we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important files during installation.
- check battery charge levels, make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the phone powers off completely.
Now that you know all of the above you can get to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 8.1.0 Factory Image for International Pixel 2 XL:
The first thing that you need to do is to setup the Platform-Tools for your computer. These will allow you to easily connect the phone to computer and complete the factory image installation.
Download Platform-Tools zip from the links below. Get the file that corresponds to your phone's OS:
- for Windows click here.
for Linux click here.
for Mac OS click here.
- when the download is completed you can unzip the files.
- save the obtained files to your phone's Platform-Tools folder, and continue to the next step.
- download Google USB Drivers from here.
- make sure to install the drivers on your computer.
Get to the next part and learn how to flash the new firmware files.
Install Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image for Pixel 2 XL International:
- Download Android 8.1.0 Factory Image file from here.
- When the download is done you can unzip the contents and save them on your computer.
Make sure to place all the obtained files to Platform-Tools folder.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Next, go to Platform-Tools folder and run a command prompt/ terminal screen with administrator rights.
- Connect the Pixel 2 XL to PC via usb cable.
Make sure that the phone has been detected by the computer and continue to the next step.
- First you have to unlock the Pixel 2 XL bootloader. Enter the following command line to do that: fastboot flashing unlock
Confirm the process.
- Start the Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image installation. Go to Platform-Tools folder.
Launch the flash-all.bat installer script for Windows computers. If you're on Linux or Mac OS, then run the flash-all.sh script instead.
Confirm the Oreo Factory image installation, and then continue to the next part of this post.
- After the install is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC and wait for the reboot to be completed successfully.
If you need more help completing the guide you can tell us below.