The official Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA updates are now live for all the Google Pixel devices.
In case you don’t wish to wait until Google sends the updates in your region, then you can manually install the Android 8.1.0 OTA Update images using ADB Sideload method.
These updates are normally rolled out in stages, and not everyone will get the files at the same time. There aren’t too many changes added in this release, but you should still install one every time it gets released, as it packs the latest security patches. Before starting the flashing process you need to check the guidelines below.
Use this guide only for the Google Pixel devices. Don’t try to flash the new update on any other different Pixel devices.
This update has to be installed over the previous Android 8.1.0 builds. Don’t try to install it over older Android 7.1.2 builds, as it won’t work.
You need to enable the USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from Developer Options menu. If you cannot find Developer Options, then you should enable it first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Firmware Build Number text.
Return to Settings, as the Developer Options will now be listed and you can open it. Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.
This guide has to be used by advanced users. Don’t blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files.
Read the whole post and do not skip any steps listed below.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
Install Android 8.1.0 February OTA Update for Google Pixel using ADB Sideload:
The first thing that you will need to do is to setup the Platform-Tools and adb drivers. Here’s how to successfully configure the Platform-Tools:
- download the Platform-Tools zip for your computer’s OS:
– for Windows here.
– for Linux here.
– for Mac OS here.
- unzip the contents and save them on your PC.
- download Google USB drivers from here, and install them on your PC.
Install Android 8.1.0:
- Download the Android 8.1.0 February 2018 update file from here.
- When the download is done you should rename the file to update.zip
– this will allow you to easily install the update using command prompt.
- After the file is done downloading you should place the file in Platform-Tools folder.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot your Pixel phone in Recovery Mode.
- From Recovery Mode select the apply update from adb option.
- Connect your phone to PC using usb cable.
– verify that your phone has been detected.
- Go to Platform-Tools folder.
Open a command Prompt/ terminal screen on your PC.
- Now, start the update using the following command line: adb sideload update.zip
- When the installation is done you should unplug the phone from PC, and reboot it in normal mode.
If the install process fails, then you should try to to repeat the whole guide more than once. Make sure that you won’t skip any steps, and that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
If you need more help you should tell us in comments.