The new and official Android 8.1.0 Factory Image builds are now live for the O2/UK-only Google Pixel 2 devices.
Check the info in this post in order to learn how to manually complete the installation of this new factory image for your Pixel 2 UK phone.
The Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image is great for those that are looking to restore their phones to 100% stock firmware, or it can be used as an update tool if you're still waiting on Android 8.1.0 OTA Update to be rolled out in your region.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use the tutorial only for the O2/UK-only Google Pixel 2 devices.
- do not attempt to update any other devices found in this post on any other different phones.
- you should enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu first.
- also, enable OEM Unlock option, too.
- if Developer Options is hidden you will need to enable this particular menu first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- return to Settings, and you will find the Developer Options menu listed there.
- open Developer Options, and find the USB Debugging option to enable it first.
- find OEM Unlock option and enable that, too.
- you should use this tutorial only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- check battery charge level and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the phone powers off.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps we've listed below.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to manually complete the new factory image installation.
How to flash Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image for O2/ UK-only Google Pixel 2 phones:
The first steps you need to follow are the ones below teaching you how to setup the Platform-Tools files and scripts.
Download Platform-Tools zip from the links below. Make sure to grab the file corresponding to your computer's operating system:
- for Windows click here.
for Linux here.
for Mac OS here.
- after the download is completed you need to extract the archived contents and save them on your PC.
- make sure to place all files in the Platform-Tools folder.
- download Google USB drivers from here and install them on your PC.
Install Android 8.1.0 Factory Image for O2/ UK-only Pixel 2 devices:
- Download Android 8.1.0 Factory Image file for your device from here.
- When the download is done you have to unzip the contents and place them all in the Platform-Tools folder.
- Now you can power off the phone.
- Boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Open a command-prompt/ terminal window in the Platform-Tools folder. Make sure that the phone has been detected and then continue to the next step.
- if the phone hasn't been detected you need to reinstall the usb drivers.
- Unlock the Pixel 2 bootloader now. Enter in the command prompt the following command line: fastboot flashing unlock
- Start the Android 8.1.0 Factory Image installation for your Pixel 2 device.
Go to Platform-Tools folder and launch the flash-all.bat installer script for Windows PC, or the flash-all.sh script for Linux / Mac OS.
- Confirm the flashing process and don't skip any steps.
- After installation is done you can reboot the phone normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC and reboot it in normal mode.
Use your default Google account in order to regain control over your device once again.
If installation fails you need to reinstall the Google usb drivers and verify that the phone is detected when connected via usb cable.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments.