The official Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image January 2018 builds are now live for the Verizon Pixel 2 XL devices.
Check the info below in order to learn how to manually flash the new factory image easily.
The Verizon Google Pixel 2 XL users can restore their phones to 100% stock firmware using the Oreo Factory Image devices. If you've installed a custom ROM or modified your Pixel 2 XL's OS in any way, then the factory image installation will restore your device to stock OS.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- the tutorial has to be used only for the Verizon Google Pixel 2 XL.
- don't try to flash the new files over any other different devices.
- check here for other Google Pixel 2 XL tutorials.
- you need to enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock option from Developer Options menu.
- if Developer Options is not listed under Settings, then you have to enable that first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- return to Settings, find Developer Options and enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.
- the Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image can be flashed over any OS or custom ROM, but you should know that no data will survive the installation process.
- installing a factory image requires you to unlock the Pixel 2 XL Verizon bootloader, and this process is the one that deletes the entire data from a phone.
- create backups for all the important data files.
- use the tutorial only if you are an advanced user, so don't blame us if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files.
- check battery charge levels, make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the device switches off.
Since you've read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image for Verizon Google Pixel 2 XL:
First you will need to setup the Platform-Tools for your PC. These changes will allow you to connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
Here's how to configure the Platform-Tools and ADB drivers:
- for Windows click here.
for Linux click here.
for Mac OS click here.
- after the download is done you need to extract the contents and save them on your PC.
- save the files to Platform-Tools folder.
- download Google USB drivers from here.
- install all the drivers on your PC.
Now you can begin the factory image installation.
Install Android 8.1.0 Oreo Factory Image for Verizon Pixel 2 XL:
- Download the Android 8.1.0 Factory Image from here.
- When the download is done you can extract the archived contents and save them on your PC.
Place all the files in Platform-Tools folder.
- Power off the phone.
- Next, boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
- please verify that the phone has been detected and then get to the next step.
- if the phone is not added you need to reinstall the Google USB drivers.
- Now you need to unlock the Pixel 2 XL bootloader.
Launch a command prompt window/ terminal window in Platform-Tools and enter the following command line: fastboot flashing unlock
- Next, start the install. Go to Platform-Tools, find Flash-all.bat script for Windows and launch it. If you're using Linux/ Mac Os launch Flash-all.sh script instead.
Confirm the installation and wait for the factory image to be installed successfully.
- When the install is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC and use your usual Google account to regain control over your device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation.
If the process fails you need to repeat installation. If you need more help you can tell us in comments.