Google has published the new and official Android 8.1.0 firmware version with build date set for February 2018.
Check the info in this post if you wish to complete the new update process manually before the official OTA files are rolled out in your region.
This update tutorial uses the ADB Sideload method, which is why you have to be an advanced user before starting the installation. Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines.
This guide has to be used only for the Unlocked International Google Pixel 2 XL devices.
Do not attempt to update other different Pixel models with the files found in this post.
Note that this new Android 8.1.0 February 2018 (OPM1.171019.018) can be installed only over the Android 8.1.0 Oreo (OPM1.171019.013) January 2018 build. Don’t install this update over any older builds, as the installation will not be applied successfully.
If you’ve modified the installed ROM in any way, then you should know that the update cannot be applied over custom or modified ROMs.
You need to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from Developer Options.
If you can’t find Developer Options you need to enable these first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Firmware Build Number text. Return to Settings, find Developer Options and enable both USB Debugging and OEM Unlock.
Make sure that there is enough battery power before starting the update.
How to install Android 8.1.0 February 2018 OTA Update for Google Pixel 2 XL with ADB Sideloading:
First you will have to setup the Platform-Tools and ADB drivers. Here’s how to do it:
- download the Platform-Tools file for your PC from the links below:
– for Windows click here.
– for Linux click here.
– for Mac click here.
- after the download is completed you need to extract the contents and save them on your PC.
- place the files in a folder called Platform-Tools.
- download Google USB drivers from here.
Install Android 8.1.0 OTA Update for Google Pixel 2 XL with ADB Sideload:
- Download Android 8.1.0 OPM1.171019.018, Feb 2018 Update archive from here.
- When the download is completed you have to change the file name to update.zip
– the name change is done so that you will be able easily to load the file in command prompt.
- Move the update.zip to Platform-Tools folder.
- Switch off your device.
- Boot your phone in Recovery Mode. Select “apply update from adb”.
- Connect your device to PC via usb cable.
Verify that the device has been detected by the computer.
– if the phone is not detected you need to reinstall the usb drivers.
- Open command prompt / terminal screen in Platform-Tools folder that you created when setting up the adb drivers.
- Enter the following command line in CMD/ Terminal in order to begin the installation: adb sideload update.zip
- Confirm the flashing process.
- When the update is done you need to unplug the Pixel 2 XL device from PC. Reboot the phone and you’re done.
If installation fails you need to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you need more help you can tell us in comments.