Google has rolled out the brand new official Android 8.1.0 Oreo official updates for all the Pixel 2 users.
Google Pixel 2 was launched in October 2017, and the new Android 8.1 update comes only a few months after that. You can install the brand new official Android 8.1.0 Oreo update manually without waiting for Google to push the new firmware update in your region.
This guide can be installed only in case you are running Android 8.0 100% stock firmware. You cannot flash any official update over a modified OS.
Android 8.1.0 official update brings a couple of tweaks and improvements that should enhance your device’s Oreo OS experience. Here are some of the important changes added in this release: a new Oreo Easter Egg, new Power menu, support for showing battery levels of connected devices in your Bluetooth settings menu, wallpaper-based themes, revamped Settings page, removed Keep Wifi On During Sleep option, all apps will only make a single notification alert per second, and others more.
Check the following guidelines before starting the flashing process:
- use this tutorial only for the Google Pixel 2 devices.
- do not attempt to update any other smartphones with the files that you will find in this post.
- you have to install the new Android 8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.011, Dec 2017) build only over the Android 8.0.0 (OPD1.170816.025, Nov 2017).
– don’t try to flash the new update over an older firmware build than the one specified above.
- also, you cannot install the new update on your device if this has been rooted or it has it’s installed OS modified in any way.
- this tutorial has to be applied only by advanced users.
– we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
– read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- make sure to enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if Developer Options is hidden, then you have to enable that first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number text.
– return to Settings and Developer Options will be listed there.
– open Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- make sure that the battery charge levels are over 50%, as otherwise you cannot install any new updates on your device.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 8.1.0 OTA Image for Google Pixel 2:
Firstly you have to setup the Platform-Tools and ADB drivers that will allow you to connect your phone with the computer.
Here’s how to configure these changes for your PC:
- Download the Platform-Tools for your computer’s OS from the links below:
– for Windows click here.
– for Linux click here.
– for Mac OS click here.
- extract the archived contents and save them on your computer.
- place the extracted files in a folder called Platform-Tools.
- download from here Google USB drivers and install them on your PC.
Install Android 8.1.0 OTA Update for Pixel 2 using ADB Sideload method:
- Download Android 8.1.0 archive file from here.
- Rename the file to update.zip
– this allows you to easily load the file and load it using ADB Sideload.
- Switch off the device.
- Boot your Pixel 2 in Recovery Mode.
- Select the apply update from adb option from Recovery Mode menu.
- Connect your Pixel 2 to PC via usb cable.
Wait for the PC to detect the phone and continue to the next step.
- Return to Platform-Tools folder and launch the command prompt/ terminal screen with the address set for this particular folder.
- Start the update process by entering the following command line: adb sideload update.zip
When installation is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode and you’re done. Also, unplug the phone from PC and use your default login info in order to unlock the device.
If you need more help completing the tutorial, then you should tell us in comments.