The official update of Android 8.1.0 is now available for the Pixel XL devices. Check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to manually install this new firmware.
These updates are being rolled out in stages for all Pixel XL users worldwide. This is a tutorial that will have to be applied only by advanced users, as it can only be installed over 100% official stock Android 8.0 builds.
The new Android 8.1.0 Oreo builds are bringing the following changes: Search Bar now is shown on the bottom part of your screen just like on the Pixel 2 phones, translucent Notification Quick Settings, Navigation Buttons now are faded after not using them for two seconds, revamped Power menu, Wallpaper-based themes, and others more.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only for the Google Pixel XL devices.
- don't try to update any other devices with the files found below.
- you can install the Android 8.1.0 OPM1.171019.011 Dec 2011 build only over the 8.0.0 OPR3.170623.013 November 2017 build.
- check the version of your device by going to Settings> Software Info.
- use the guide only if you are an advanced users.
- you need to enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- if the Developer Options is not listed under Settings, then you have to enable this menu first.
- go to Settings> About Phone> Software Info and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- go back to Settings and Developer Options will be listed there.
- enable USB Debugging and continue to the next step.
- make sure that the charge level of your device is over 50%, so that you will complete the update at your first attempt.
- the update process is done via ADB Sideload method, so you should first set this up before starting the update process.
- in case you do not wish to manually update your phone you should wait for Google to push the new files overt-the-air in your region.
Since you've read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Android 8.1.0 OTA Update manually for Pixel XL via ADB Sideload:
First thing that you need to do is to setup the Platform-Tools folder with all of its adb drivers and tools. Check the steps below and you'll be able to do that for any OS you're using:
- download Platform-Tools zip from the links below:
- for Windows click here.
- for Linux click here.
- for Mac click here.
- extract the contents from the zip and save them all in a new folder called Platform-Tools.
- download and install the Google USB drivers from here, too.
Now you can begin the updating process.
Remember that your Pixel XL has to be running the latest Android 8.0.0 (OPR3.170623.013, Nov 2017) build for this manual update process to be completed successfully.
Install Android 8.1.0 OPM1 December 2017 Update for Pixel XL:
- Download the Android 8.1.0 OPM1 Dec 2017 Update archive from here or here.
- When the download is done you have to rename the file to simply update.zip This will allow you to easily load and flash the file from the Terminal / Command Prompt window.
- Place the Update.zip file in Platform-Tools folder.
- Power off the Pixel XL.
- Boot it in Recovery Mode.
- Select the apply update from adb option from the Recovery Mode menu.
- Connect your phone to PC via usb cable.
- Go to Platform-Tools folder and open a Command Prompt / Terminal window with Administrator rights.
- Enter the following command line to confirm that the Pixel XL has been detected by the PC: adb devices
If the phone is not recognized you need to reinstall the Google USB drivers.
- Enter the following command line to initiate the update process: adb sideload update.zip
- Confirm process.
Note that the OTA_file zip has to be named just like the test put after "adb sideload" for the guide to work.
- When installation is done you can select Reboot system now and your Pixel XL will reboot in normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the new official updates for your smartphone.
If you need more help completing the tutorial you can tell us in comments.
Also, note that in case installation fails you should simply repeat the tutorial more than once. If you repeat the flashing process you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't skip any steps.