The Android 9 Pie official update has started to roll out for the Samsung Galaxy J7 2017 devices worldwide. If you want to update yours manually, then you can follow all the instructions listed below.
The Android 9 Pie for the Galaxy J7 2017 comes with Samsung's new One UI, a new Night Mode, navigation gestures, and Digital Wellbeing that will allow you to set a limit for phone and app usage - a great feature for parents who want to control their children's time spent on their phones.
The new official Android 9 Pie update is available in Europe at this moment, but it should soon be released worldwide. The update is rolling out over-the-air, and not everyone will get the new files at the same time as others.
You can check the info below if you are an advanced user and you want to manually upgrade your Galaxy J7 2017 to Pie 9.0 Official firmware. If you do not want to install the update manually, then you can go to Settings> Software Update menu and there you can open the Download and Install options - if a new firmware file is ready for download you simply have to confirm the process and your Galaxy J7 device will complete the update automatically.
In case there is no firmware ready for download, then you can choose to install the new Android 9 Pie OS firmware for Galaxy J7 2017 by using the files provided below.
The tutorial presented below will work exclusively with the Samsung Galaxy J7 2017 model number SM - J730F. Do not attempt to update any other different models of the Galaxy J7 2017 phone, as it won't work and you risk bricking the device. Check the model of your device by going to Settings> About Phone menu: if the model number is not SM-J730F, then you should close this post and look for a different guide suited for your phone's model version.
Also, please note that you won't be able to install the update on your Galaxy J7 2017 model J730F in case the phone's firmware has been rooted, or modified in any major way. If you have installed a rooted, odexed/deodexed firmware or a custom ROM on your Galaxy J7, then you will first have to factory reset the phone and restore it to original Android 8.1.0 firmware in order to be able to flash the new official Android 9.0 Pie OS.
How to install Android 9 Pie Official Update for 2017 Samsung Galaxy J7 (Model J730F)
First thing you need to do is to setup the Developer Options menu, as you will have to enable USB Debugging for your phone. The USB Debugging allows your device to connect with the computer in order to install the new firmware update. Go to Settings> About Phone> Software information and here you need to tap seven times on the "build number" row in order to enable Developer Options.
After you have enabled Developer Options you should go to Settings and scroll down until you find the new menu. Open developer Options, then scroll down to "USB Debugging" option and enable its toggle. Close Settings and you are done, you can start applying the new changes.
- Download the Samsung USB drivers for Windows PC from here. Install the drivers and continue to the next step.
- Download the Android 9 Pie firmware archive file from here.
- When the download is done you have to extract all the Galaxy J7 Android 9 Pie firmware on your computer. Save all the files in a single folder.
- Download Odin 3.13.3 zip from here.
- Odin is the tool you will use to flash the new update. Unzip the Odin files and save them on your PC.
- Switch off the Galaxy J7.
- Boot it in Download Mode. It can be done by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time. Release the buttons when the Download Mode screen loads.
- Launch Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect the phone to PC using an usb cable. Wait for ODIN to ADD the device. If the phone is not added you will have to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- Now you need to start loading the Android 9 Pie firmware files into ODIN.
- Click on the AP button in ODIN and load the AP_ J730FXXU4CSF1 tarmd5 file.
- Click BL and load the BL_J730FXXU4CSF1 tar.md5 file.
- Click CP and load the CP_J730FXXU4CSF1 tar.md5 file.
- Click CSC and load the HOME_CSC_J730FXXU4CSF1 tar.md5 file. Do not load the file that only has "CSC" in its name, as that will wipe the entire phone internal storage.
- When you've successfully loaded all the Android 9 Update files you can click START. The Galaxy J7 2017 will complete the tutorial automatically.
- When the update is done you will see the PASS alert in ODIN. Reboot the phone and unplug it from PC and you are done with the new update process.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to complete the Android 9 Pie official update for your Samsung Galaxy J7 2017 device. In case you need more help completing the tutorial, then you can tell us in comments and we will gladly help you finish the Android 9 Pie update process.