The official Android N Preview build number 3 is now live for the Google / Motorola Nexus 6 devices. Check the info listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully install this new factory image on your smartphone.
Android N is the next major OS upgrade done by Google and before it gets to full release you can test these Preview / Beta builds. The 3rd Preview Build of Android N is much more stable and reliable than the previous releases. So, if you're curious about the new features and improvements added in Android N, then you should try it right away.
Android N in its final form should be released later this summer for all the Nexus devices that were launched in the last 18 months. Google hasn't announced the Android N final name, but it has opened a poll here where you can send your own tasty treats starting with N.
Before starting the installation process you should check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only with the Google Nexus 6 devices.
- do not try to update any other different Nexus models with the files that you will find in this post.
- make sure to enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options section.
- Developer Options might be hidden which is why you have to unhide them by going to Settings> About Phone and tapping 7 times on the Build Number section.
- return to the Settings, scroll down and there you will find Developer Options.
- by installing a factory image on your Nexus 6 you will end up removing all the data from your phone, as a factory reset is applied during installation.
- make sure to backup all the important data on external media storage before starting the flashing process.
- this is a tutorial that has to be applied by advanced users only, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- check your phone's battery charge level, make sure that there is at least 50% power left before the smartphone switches off completely.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
These were all the preparation steps you had to go over before starting the installation process of this new factory image on your device.
How to install Android N Preview 3 Factory Image for Nexus 6 "shamu":
You need to setup the Android SDK on your PC, as it is going to allow your device to connect with your PC. Without setting up the Android SDK you cannot complete the installation.
- download the Android SDK from here.
- install it on your computer.
- get to the SDK installation directory and find SDK Manager exe, launch it.
- use SDK Manager to download and install all the required SDK packages and usb drivers.
- now, find the newly created platform-tools folder.
- it should be under the SDK Installation directory.
- this is the folder where you will need to copy the Android N Factory Image installation files.
- in case you cannot connect the phone with the computer, then you should try to install the usb drivers from here.
Now that you've configured the Android SDK you can continue to the next step.
Install Android N Preview 3 Factory Image:
- Download the Android N factory image archive from here.
- When the download is done you should extract the archived files on your PC.
- Move the extracted files to platform-tools folder.
- Now you can power off the Nexus 6.
- Boot it in Fastboot / Bootloader mode.
- don't select any fastboot modes, just leave the Fastboot main menu opened on your phone's screen.
- Connect your device to PC via usb cable.
- Go to platform-tools folder.
- Start the Android N Factory Image installation by double-clicking on the flash-all.bat script.
- confirm the flashing process.
Don't press any buttons until all the files are done installing.
- After the installation is done you can see a confirmation alert shown in the command prompt window.
- Unplug the device from computer when the installation is done.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the Android N Factory Image installation.
In case you have problems completing the Android N Preview 3 factory image flashing process, then you should try to repeat the tutorial more than once. In case you repeat installation then you should make sure that you won't be skipping any steps and that your phone meets all requirements.
If you need more help completing the tutorial then you should tell us in comments.