Google has published the official Android P Developer Preview Build #4 for all the advanced Pixel users.
This guide will teach you how to manually enroll and install the latest Android P Developer Preview build for your Google Pixel phone.
The new Android P BETA build 4 brings some new changes and features that Google has decided to test before the final Android P roll out. The new Dev Preview 4 Android P firmware brings a new back button, a Dark Theme picker, Vibration strength customization for incoming calls, notifications and touch.
You will find more about these changes after installation. So, if you are an advanced user, and you are looking to install the new Developer Preview 4 build, then you should first check the following guidelines:
- use this guide for the Google Pixel devices.
- do not attempt to flash the Factory Image of Android P Developer Preview 4 found in this post on any other different Pixel device.
- this guide has to be applied by advanced users only, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- the factory image installation will wipe all user data from your phone.
- make sure to create backups for all your important files before starting the Android P installation.
- you have to change a couple of settings in Developer Options on your device: enable USB Debugging and OEM unlock options.
If you cannot find Developer Options, then you have to unhide that menu first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- return to Settings, find Developer Options and enable the settings listed above.
- make sure that the battery charge levels are over 50%, as otherwise the installation is not possible.
- read the entire guide and make sure you don't skip any steps.
- if you need more help completing the guide, then you can tell us in comments.
Since you've read all of the above you can not continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Android P Developer Preview 4 Factory Image for Google Pixel:
You have to setup the Platform-Tools Fastboot drivers first. This process will make sure that your PC connects with the Pixel phone when they are connected via usb cable. Here's how to do it:
Download Platform-Tools zip and drivers package from the links below:
When the download is completed you can extract the archived files. Save all the files in folder on your PC called Platform-Tools.
Download and install the Google USB drivers from here. Install the usb drivers in order to make sure that your PC device recognizes the phone.
Install Android P Developer Preview 4 Factory Image for Google Pixel:
- Download the factory image file from here.
- After the download is done you have to extract the comprised files.
Place all the obtained Android P files in the Platform-Tools folder.
- Switch off your smartphone.
- Boot it in Fastboot Mode.
- Connect your Pixel phone to PC via USB Cable.
- make sure the phone is detected and then get to the next step.
- Get to Platform-Tools directory.
Launch a CMD window / Terminal screen using administrator rights.
- You need to unlock the Pixel bootloader now. Enter the following command line: fastboot flashing unlock
Confirm the process
NOTE: this will wipe clean your entire phone, no data files will survive the installation.
- You can start the Android P Preview 4 Factory Image installation by opening the Flash-all.bat script.
- don't press anything until the installation is done.
- When all the files are done flashing you can reboot the Google Pixel device in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC when the installation is done. If you need more help completing this guide then you can tell us in comments below.