Google has presented the new Android P operating system which should be rolled out later this year for all Google Pixel devices.
Before the new official Android P firmware is being ready for a final release you can test the Developer Preview builds. If you're interested on running the new Android P you can either enter the Beta program from Google or you can manually flash the Android P factory image using the instructions below.
This guide contains all the instructions that you can use in order to learn how to manually install an Android P Factory Image for your Google Pixel phone. Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use the guide only for the Google Pixel smartphones.
- don't use the tutorial for other different devices.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- if you can't find Developer Options you need to enable that menu first: go to Settings> About Phone> Software Info and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- return to Settings and Developer Options will now be listed there.
- enable OEM Unlock option from Developer Options, too, as otherwise the installation of Android P Developer Preview will fail.
- note that the installation process of a factory image will delete all the files stored on your device.
- no data files will survive the installation, so you should backup all the important data files before starting the flashing process.
- read the whole guide and do not skip any steps.
- the installation has to be applied by advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files.
How to flash Android P Developer Preview Factory Image for Google Pixel:
First you will have to setup the Android Fastboot ADB drivers for your computer. Here's how to do it:
- download Platform-Tools zip using the links below - make sure to grab the file corresponding to your computer's OS:
- for Mac OS click here.
- for Windows here.
- for Linux here.
- when the download is done you simply need to extract the contents from the zip.
- name the file Platform-Tools and leave all extracted files like they are.
- download and install the Google USB drivers from here.
When done with the Platform-Tools fastboot drivers you can get to the next step.
Install Android P Developer Preview Factory Image for Google Pixel:
- Download Android P Developer Preview factory system image file from here.
- After the download is done you have to unzip the files.
Save all the extracted files to Platform-Tools folder.
- Switch off the device.
- Boot your Google Pixel in Fastboot Mode.
- Get to Platform-Tools and launch a command-prompt/ terminal screen in this particular folder.
- Use an usb cable and connect the Google Pixel to PC via usb cable.
- First thing you need to do is to unlock the Google Pixel bootloader.
Go back to the CMD window/ terminal screen and enter the following command: fastboot flashing unlock
- Confirm the bootloader unlock.
- Now you can initiate the installation of Android P System image.
Launch flash-all.bat script to begin the installation of Android P on your Google Pixel.
- After the installation is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC and wait for it to boot in normal mode.
These were all the steps you had to go over before starting the flashing process.
If you need any extra help completing the tutorial, then you should tell us in comments. Also, feel free to list all the new things and features you've observed after installing the new Android P Developer Preview system image.
Please note that you can restore your Google Pixel to normal Android 8 OS by using a similar system image firmware.