Google has presented and released for download the new Android P Developer Preview Factory images for all the Google Pixel 2 advanced users.
The new official Android P Developer Preview can be installed easily if you are an advanced user by using the instructions below, or you can choose to enroll in Android Beta Program and get the new files over-the-air.
You have to check the following guidelines before starting the flashing process of Android P Developer Preview Factory Image for your Pixel 2 device:
- this guide has to be used with the Google Pixel 2 devices only.
- do not try to install the files below on any other different smartphones.
- you should enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from the Developer Options menu.
- if you cannot find Developer Options, then it means that this menu is disabled, so you will have to enable that first: go to Settings> About Phone> and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- return to Settings> and Developer Options will be listed there.
- open Developer Options, find USB Debugging and enable it.
- make sure to enable OEM Unlock, too.
- this is a tutorial that needs to be applied by advanced users only.
- we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- note that by installing the Factory Image you will end up wiping all the data from your smartphone.
- create backups for all the important data files before starting the installation.
- read the whole post and don't skip any steps.
- check battery charge levels and make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the Pixel 2 powers off.
Since you've read all of the above you can now continue to the next part of this post.
You can install the Android P Developer Preview by either enrolling in Google's Android BETA program here, or by using the instructions below.
How to install Android P Developer Preview Factory Image for Google Pixel 2:
The first thing that you need to do is to setup the Android Fastboot drivers and Platform-Tools folder. Here's how to do it:
Download the Platform-Tools zip file corresponding to your computer's OS using the links below:
- for Mac OS click here.
- for Windows here.
- for Linux here.
- after the download is done you have to extract all archived files and save them on your PC.
- place all the extracted files on a folder named Platform-Tools.
- download and install Google USB drivers from here, too.
Install Android P System Image Developer Preview for Pixel 2:
- Download Android P System image file from here.
- When the download is done you have to extract the files.
Place the obtained files in the Platform-Tools folder.
- Switch off your device.
- Next, boot the Pixel 2 in Fastboot Mode.
- Use the USB cable and connect your device with the computer.
Verify that the phone has been added and then continue to the next part of this post.
- if the phone is not detected you need to reconfigure the Platform-Tools and install the Google usb drivers.
- You now have to unlock the Bootloader of your Google Pixel 2. Launch a command prompt /terminal in Platform-Tools and enter the following command line: fastboot flashing unlock
- confirm the process.
- Now you can start the Android P Developer Preview system image for your Pixel 2.
Double-click on the Flash-all.bat script. Confirm the process.
- After the flashing process is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
Unplug the device from PC and wait for first boot process to be completed successfully.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the Android P Developer Preview system image for your Pixel 2 device.
If you need any extra help completing the guide, then you can tell us in comments below.