Google has announced and rolled the new Android P Developer Preview builds of their future new OS major upgrade. If you don't want to wait until the new OS is ready for a final build release, then you can test it using the files in this post.
The new Android P Developer Preview Factory System Image can be manually installed by yourself, or you can enroll in Google's Android BETA program. Note that all data will be wiped from your phone regardless of the update method you choose.
Before starting the installation process you will have to check the following guidelines:
- use this guide only for the Google Pixel XL devices.
- do not attempt to update any other different Pixel models with the files found below.
- enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from Developer Options menu.
- if the Developer Options menu isn't showed under your Google Pixel XL Settings menu, then you will have to enable it first:
- go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number text.
- returning to Settings you will find Developer Options menu listed there.
- open Dev Options and enable both USB Debugging and OEM unlock, then get to the next step.
- by installing a factory image file you will consent to wiping all the files from your Google Pixel XL storage.
- no file will survive the installation, so you should create backups of all your important files.
- use the tutorial only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- make sure that there is at least 50% charge left before the devices switches off, as otherwise the installation will fail.
- if you can't complete the installation you can tell us in comments.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of the post.
How to flash Android P Preview Beta System Image for Google Pixel XL:
The first thing that you have to do is to setup Platform-Tools and the Fastboot drivers for your computer. This process will allow your PC and Pixel XL phone to connect with each other.
Here's how to complete the setup of all required drivers:
- download Platform-Tools.zip using the link corresponding to your computer OS:
- for Windows click here.
- for Linux here.
- for Mac OS here.
- save the zip file on your PC and open it when the download is done.
- extract all archived contents and save them all in a folder named Platform-Tools.
- download and install Google USB drivers from here.
You can start the update now that you've configured the above.
Install Android P Developer Preview Factory Image for Google Pixel XL:
- Download Android P Factory Image file archive from here.
- After the download is done you can extract the contents. Save the obtained files to Platform-Tools folder.
- Power off the device.
- Boot your Pixel XL in Fastboot Mode.
- Get to Platform-Tools folder. Launch a Command Prompt/ Terminal screen window.
- Connect your Pixel XL to PC via usb cable.
- please make sure that your device has been detected by the PC and continue to the next step afterwards.
- First you have to unlock the Bootloader of the Pixel XL phone.
Enter the following command in the CMD / terminal screen: fastboot flashing unlock
- please note that this will wipe clean the device.
After the bootloader is unlocked you can start the installation of Android P.
- Get to Platform-Tools folder.
- Launch the flash-all.bat Android P Dev Preview installer script. Confirm the installation.
- When the install is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
Unplug the Pixel XL from PC and wait for Android P OS first boot to complete.
These were all the steps you had to apply in order to complete the new developer preview builds of Android P for your Pixel XL phone.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments, and we will try to help you complete the installation.