Are you ready for the Android Pie experience? We bet you are, especially when the Xiaomi Mi 8 smartphone is involved, a high-end handset which is ready to grant a great and super-fast Android Pie functionality. Well, in that regard you can now follow and apply this dedicated step by step update guide: the guidelines from below will show you how the new MIUI 10 official firmware can be manually installed on the Xiaomi Mi 8, whether you want to do it from TWRP recovery or by using System Updater.
So, this tutorial will work even if your phone was recently tweaked: as you we all know, a new update can be automatically received and installed only if the stock Android OS is already running and only if tweaks weren’t applied. Shortly, this guide will help you set up the MIUI 10 OS in both situations – for tweaked and stock Xiaomi MI 8 which is just great as you have all the details you need in one place. Of course, along with the actual flashing steps we will also discuss about advantages, risks and essential pre-requisites so check it all out.
MIUI 10 is powered by the latest Android UI. Thus, now you have the opportunity of setting up Android Pie on your Xiaomi Mi 8. The firmware is officially released by your OEM, so from this perspective you have nothing to worry about. You will receive everything that’s new on the Android Pie platform along with the MIUI skin which is adding its own dedicated features and capabilities. Overall, you will be able to use a great Android functionality which is light and fully stable and which grants a smooth experience on a daily basis. The ROM will run better and faster than before and you will enjoy an upgraded battery life.
Your data might get corrupted or wiped out during the flashing process, so the best is to save everything that might still be required afterwards in order to avoid any unpleasant situations. On the Xiaomi Mi 8 you can already use built-in cloud storage apps, or you can choose other backup and restore solutions such as: syncing certain files with your own Google Account, using an external storage device or downloading dedicated and already tested backup and restore apps from Google Play. Of course, when completing the backup don’t forget to save the sensible data – just secure your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, IMEI / NVRAM data and so on.
A few other stuffs will have to be prepared for the update operation that is explained below; so before doing anything else check the following list of tasks:
- A computer must be at your disposal and you will have to use your phone and its USB cable.
- On your computer the Xiaomi Mi 8 drivers must be installed first.
- On your smartphone you must access Developer Options from Settings; if that’s not possible, don’t panic and follow: access About Phone and tap repeatedly (for 7 or 10 times) on Built Number; you should receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- On your Mi 8 access Developer Options as already indicated; then from that field check the USB Debugging option. If you don’t do it you might experience problems while trying to properly connect your phone with your computer.
- Verify the power left on your Xiaomi Mi 8 because you might have to charge your phone before installing the Android Pie powered MIUI 10 firmware.
- So, if the power left is lower than 50%, plug in the charger – otherwise a sudden shut down might happen while the update process is running.
- Sudden switch offs might cause severe malfunctions on your Android based device meaning that you are not careful enough you can end up in soft-bricking your Mi 8.
- Of course, follow and apply the steps explained below only if you own the already mentioned Android based device. Stay close to these guidelines and try not to mess things up.
How to Manually Install Android Pie Based MIUI 10 Firmware on Xiaomi Mi 8
Use TWRP recovery
Once more, this method is recommended if your phone was tweaked – for example, if root was enabled on your phone. For being able to complete the next steps you first have to unlock your Xiaomi Mi 8 bootloader. Also, TWRP recovery must be flashed on your phone. Good; now, just follow:
- Download the MIUI 10 firmware package on your computer – get the software package from this page.
- Switch off your smartphone and afterwards reboot into recovery mode.
- In recovery choose to wipe everything by selecting ‘wipe data factory reset’, followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ and by ‘wipe dalvik cache’.
- Return to main menu of recovery and choose to go back to Android mode.
- Connect your phone with your computer via USB cable.
- Transfer the Android Pie package from desktop to your phone.
- Unplug the USB cable when done.
- Go back to recovery mode menu and this time tap on Install.
- Pick the MIUI 10 file and swipe in order to start the flashing process.
- Wait while the update operation is automatically completed.
- When done, from main menu of recovery pick ‘reboot system now’.
- That should be all.
Use System Installer
Use this second update method if your Xiaomi Mi 8 is running on stock Android OS and if its Android system wasn’t tweaked. Here is what you need to do:
- First, on your computer download the MIUI 10 firmware file and save it on desktop – navigate to this page for getting the software package.
- Power on your smartphone and connect it with your computer – plug in the USB cable in that regard.
- Next, on your Xiaomi Mi 8 go to Settings > About phone > System update.
- From the right-top corner tap once on the three dot icon.
- A list of options will be displayed, just select the one that says: Choose update package.
- Pick up the downloaded Android Pie update package.
- Now the MIUI 10 OS will be automatically installed on your Xiaomi Mi 8.
- Reboot your phone in the end and enjoy; that’s all.
Congratulations; you can now successfully use the latest Android firmware on your own device. MIUI 10 based on Android Pie is now running on your Xiaomi Mi 8 so start testing the new ROM on your smartphone. Do try the new functionality and the new features and based on your own experience share your observations with us and with the other users who might be thinking in setting up this software on their own devices. You can talk with us easily and quickly by filling out the comments form from below. Enjoy and stay close for further update opportunities available for your Xiaomi Mi 8.