Even though there are no official updates available for the HTC Desire handsets, its users can anytime take advantage of the numerous custom ROMs firmware. The same can be applied if we refer to the latest upgrade, which has just been developed and tested by those of xda-developers. Therefore, during the following lines we will be checking in how to install the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 based AOKP Milestone 6 custom ROM on your HTC Desire device. As you will see, you have it all explained and detailed in an easy to follow and complete step by step guide; just take a look and see if you can handle it.
The AOKP Milestone 6 update comes with all the ICS features along with some capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android platform. Furthermore the firmware is being based on the Galaxy Nexus OS, meaning that you will receive some of its themes and backgrounds. As usual, by flashing a beta software you will be able to improve the performances of your phone as its internal system will be customized and optimized so that you can obtain more power and speed, enjoy an upgraded battery life and much more. Take note though as you can’t OTA apply the Milestone 6 on your Desire so you need to learn how to perform the manual installation procedure.
For this you have the present how to guide which will take you through the pre requisites and through other preparation tasks that are being required before you can follow the proper tutorial. So, the first to start with is the backup operation. A backup must be completed before each time you decide to make changes on your handset. In this way you can easily save and then restore your personal info, the ones stored on the internal storage memory. Now, for this operation (the update one) you will have to wipe the data first, so a backup is more than necessary. We have suitable backup guides for you from where you can learn how to save contacts, messages, call logs, internet settings, market apps and even the current ROM. So, don’t hesitate and search for the same.
Up next, if you want to succeed with installing the AOKP Milestone 6 on the HTC desire, then you should previously root your smartphone. These kinds of operations can be performed only on unchained systems, so gaining root access is a must have. Be aware as the warranty will get void and the only way for replacing it will be by downgrading to the stock ROM, or by updating to an official software released by HTC and suitable with your Desire. Finally, after backing up the data and after rooting, you must get and flash a custom recovery image, such as CWM, for your handset. This tool will be used for wiping the data and for applying the update and the Google apps. In the end, just before the proper steps, take care of the below list of pre requisites.
- Make sure you can use a Windows running computer with Internet connection enabled. The USB cord should also be near you.
- Then, on your phone and on the PC uninstall or deactivate the security tools as these programs are usually interfering with our job.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your phone (“Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”).
- If there is less than 70% power left in the system, charge your Desire.
That was all. Now you can safely begin the how to process. Just make sure you are not performing the steps for devices similar with the HTC Desire as you can easily brick your beloved handset. Also, be careful in what you do as the warranty is no longer there.
How to Install AOKP Milestone 6 Custom ROM on HTC Desire
- Download the update file from here.
- Download Google apps from here.
- You can download Google Now from here as it can be flashed too on your Desire.
- Save the files to the computer.
- Then, connect the Desire to the PC via USB cable and copy-paste these files from the computer to the phone.
- Remove the USB cord.
- Turn off the device.
- Enter in recovery mode.
- For recovery reboot while pressing on the Volume Down button.
- Once in recovery mode menu select “wipe data factory reset” and then “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, return to the main menu.
- And select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file first, flash it and then the Google apps, install them and finally flash the Google Now package, similar as you did with the update file.
- The installation process should take a while; just wait until it’s done.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Well, that was the how to guide from which you could learn the manual method required for applying the ICS 4.0 AOKP Milestone 6 update on the HTC Desire smartphone. After completing the above steps, share your impressions and opinions with us by using the comments area. Stay close and check our daily posts for further how to guides and for other Android related tips and tricks.