The CyanogenMod 11 M12 Snapshot is now live for the HTC One X smartphone and you can use the instructions that I’ve listed in this post in order to complete the installation process.
The HTC One X device might be an older-gen smartphone, but it still has enough life in it and the CM team has continuously supported it with new custom ROMs. This CM 11 M12 ROM is based on AOSP Android 4.4.4 KitKat, but it might possibly be the final M-Snapshot builds ever released for this device. The CyanogenMod team is currently working on releasing a brand new ROM, the CM 12, that is based on the newest Android 5.0 Lollipop. Read more about all this here.
Before starting the installation process of this new ROM you will have to read the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the HTC One X smartphone, the one that’s codenamed ‘endeavoru’.
– do not install the ROM that you will find in this post on any other Android devices.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP custom Recovery builds.
- in the tutorial part of this post you will also find two extra preparation steps: the NANDROID ROM Backup and Factory Reset.
– the NANDROID Backup sets a restore point for your device, one that can be used to fix your device in case the new CM 11 M12 ROM is unable to boot in normal mode.
– the Factory Reset wipes all the data that was installed by the previous ROM, it allows the CM 11 M12 ROM to install on a clean system partition.
– Factory Reset won’t wipe any data from the internal storage.
– do not skip either of these steps when you reach them in the tutorial.
- if you wish to save data from installed apps, then you can use the Helium tool for Android.
– Contacts data and People details can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the One X device from powering down during install.
- use this tutorial only if you’re an advanced user, you can’t blame us in case you lose any data nor in case you end up bricking your smartphone.
- if you cannot complete the tutorial, then you can ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the tutorial.
How to flash CM 11 M12 Snapshot ROM for HTC One X:
- Download the CyanogenMod 11 M12 ROM build from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x custom ROMs here.
- Both zip files need to be moved on your phone’s internal storage.
– do not unzip the files.
– disconnect the One X from PC after you’ve moved the files.
– if you’ve used the smartphone to download these files automatically, then you can skip this step 3.
- Power off the One X now.
- Next, boot it in CWM / TWRP Custom Recovery Mode.
- First you need to apply the NANDROID ROM Backup:
– for CWM select ‘backup and restore’, then you will need to select ‘backup’ option.
– set a name for this file and confirm the process.
- Apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, while for TWRP you need to select the ‘Wipe’ menu.
– confirm factory reset and continue to the next step.
- Initiate the installation process of CM 11 M12 ROM for your HTC One X device:
– for CWM select ‘install zip from sdcard’, and from the new screen select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– for TWRP tap on ‘Install’.
- Find the CM 11 M12 ROM zip file and confirm the installation process.
– note that this process takes a while before it loads all new files, so you shouldn’t press any buttons until the install is complete.
- After CyanogenMod 11 M12 custom ROM is installed you will need to flash the Gapps zip, too. Use the same actions as in step 8 in order to find the zip file.
- When the installation of all files is complete you can reboot the One X smartphone in normal mode.
– this ROM’s first boot process takes a while before it loads all the new files, so you should wait until the Android 4.4.4 CM 11 welcome screen loads.
- Use the Google account info or create a new CyanogenMod profile in order to take complete control over your device once again.
These were the steps that you had to follow in order to finish the CM 11 M12 install for your phone. If the process fails at the first attempt, then you can try to repeat the whole guide more than once, but make sure not to skip any steps.