The official CyanogenMod 12 Nightly ROM that's based on Android 5.0.2 is now live for download and you can install it on your 2013 Nexus 7 LTE tablet. Check the info below if you want to learn how to successfully install such custom ROM for your device.
CyanogenMod team has implemented the AOSP Android 5.0.2 Lollipop builds and now you can install this custom ROM if you wish to get access to more features and functions. Learn more about this release here.
Before starting installation of official CM 12 Nightly ROM for your tablet you should check the info below:
- use this post only with the 2013 Google Nexus 7 LTE tablet.
- do not try to install this new custom ROM on any other different Android device.
- your device has to be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running the latest Custom Recovery image of CWM or TWRP.
- make sure that the installed Custom Recovery is updated to its latest versions, so that it supports Android 5.0 Lollipop custom ROMs.
- in the tutorial you will find two extra steps like the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset, do not skip them.
- NANDROID Backup: this one creates a full restore point for your 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn't boot in normal mode.
- Factory Reset: this step wipes clean the system's memory and all files that were installed by the previous ROM.
- Factory Reset doesn't remove any files from the tablet's internal storage.
- if you want to save data from installed apps, then you can use the Helium tool for Android.
- Contacts info should be synced with your default Gmail account.
- read the whole guide and do not skip any steps.
- check the tablet's battery charge level, make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from powering down during installation.
- this is a post for advanced Android users, you cannot blame us in case you end up losing any data in the process nor in case the tablet gets bricked.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to flash a brand new Lollipop ROM.
How to flash CM 12 Nightly Lollipop ROM for 2013 Nexus 7 LTE:
- Download the CM 12 Nightly build from here.
- you can continue updated the CM 12 installation with new builds using the CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About Device section.
- Download Gapps for Android 5.x ROMs here.
- Move both zip files to your tablet's internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can continue to the next step.
- disconnect the device from PC.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off the device and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Now you need to apply the NANDROID Backup for your device:
- CWM: select 'backup and restore'.
- TWRP: press 'backup'.
- confirm backup process.
- Apply the 'factory reset':
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: press Wipe.
- confirm the process.
- Start the installation process of CM 12 Nightly for your Nexus 7 tablet:
- for CWM select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- for TWRP: tap on the 'Install' option.
- Browse your device for the CM 12 Nightly zip file and confirm its installation.
- After this new ROM has been successfully installed you can flash the Gapps zip in the same way.
- Reboot your tablet in normal mode after all the new files have been successfully installed.
- note that the first boot process of this new ROM takes somewhere around ten minutes beofre it completes loading all the new CM 12 files.
- Use your Google account or create a new CM profile in order to regain control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash CM 12 Nightly Android 5.0 ROM for your 2013 Nexus 7 LTE tablet.
In case the installation fails you can try to repeat the whole guide more than once and to make sure that you won't skip any steps. Check the guidelines and see if your tablet meets all the requirements posted there. Also, you can choose to ask for more help using the field below.