CM 12 Nightly is now available for the Samsung Galaxy Premier smartphones. Use this post in order to learn how to successfully install this new custom ROM on you device without bricking its firmware.
The CyanogenMod 12 Nightly custom ROM is based on the AOSP Android 5.0.2 Lollipop builds, but it contains tons of other extra features designed by the CM team. Check their website here for more info.
Before starting the installation process you should go to the guidelines part of this post:
- use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy Premier, the one codenamed “superior”.
– do not try to install this new custom ROM on any other Android devices.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM or TWRP Custom Recovery.
– the installed custom Recovery needs to be updated to its latest version, so that it supports the installation of a brand new Android 5.x Lollipop custom ROMs.
- the tutorial contains two extra preparation steps like the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset.
– do not skip these steps.
– the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– the ‘factory reset’ wipes clean the system’s memory partition and it allows you to flash a different ROM on your device.
– the ‘factory reset’ process doesn’t delete any files from the internal storage of your device.
- check the Helium tool for Android in case you need to save data from installed apps or any other similar files.
– sync the Contacts and People details info with your default Gmail account.
- use this post only if you are an advanced Android user, we cannot be held responsible in case you end up losing any data in the process nor in case you end up bricking the device.
- check the battery charge level of your phone and make sure that it is over 50%, it prevents the device from powering down during the installation process.
- read the whole guide and do not skip any steps.
You can keep installing new CM 12 Nightly builds for your Galaxy Premier phone using the CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About Phone section.
How to flash CM 12 Nightly ROM for Galaxy Premier:
- Download the CM 12 Nightly zip from here.
- Download Gapps for CM 12 ROMs here.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB cable and copy both zip files to its internal storage.
– do not unzip the files.
– after you’ve moved both zip files to your smartphone you can disconnect it from PC.
- Switch off the device and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
– both CWM and TWRP are working with this guide.
– Recovery Mode can be booted by pressing the following buttons at the same time: Volume Up, Home and Power.
– release the buttons only when the CWM / TWRP Custom Recovery menu loads.
- First you will need to create a full restore point for your device called NANDROID Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, while for TWRP you should use the ‘backup’ option.
– set a name for the file and confirm process.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset’:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data / factory reset’.
– for TWRP you should open the ‘Wipe’ options menu.
– confirm the process and continue to the next step when you’re done.
- Start the CM 12 Nightly Android 5.0.2 ROM installation for your Galaxy Premier device:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press ‘install’.
- Find the CM 12 Nightly ROM zip file and confirm its installation process.
- When the ROM has been flashed you will need to install the Gapps zip, too. Use the same actions as in step 7 in order to find this file.
Use your usual Google account info in order to take complete control over your device once again after it boots the CM 12 Nightly ROM. In case you need help completing the guide, then you should use the comments field below.