The 2nd SNAPSHOT stable CM 13.0 build is now live for all the 2013 Editions of the Google Nexus 7 LTE devices. If you are looking to update your tablet with a brand new Android 6.0.1 custom ROM, then this is the guide that you should use.
The CM 13.0 SNAPSHOT custom ROM is based on the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow releases. The new CM 13.0 stable release comes with all stock Marshmallow features as well as with tons of extra functions that should offer you one of the best Android experiences since ever.
Before starting installation process you should check the following guidelines:
- use the tutorial only with the Google Nexus 7 2013 LTE.
- do not attempt to update any other different Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your tablet needs to be rooted and it should run the latest version of either CWM or TWRP Recovery.
- the custom Recovery has to be updated to its latest version, so that it supports the latest Android 6.0.1-based custom ROM installations.
- in the tutorial you will find two extra preparation steps like NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset.
- the NANDROID Backup creates the restore point for your device.
- factory resetting the phone is going to remove the old custom ROM, but it won't delete any files from internal storage.
- if the installation of this new custom ROM fails and your phone doesn't boot, then you can use the NANDROID Backup file of the old ROM in order to restore the device to a working state.
- you can backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool for Android.
- this is a tutorial destined to be used by advanced users, we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- check the whole article first and do not skip any steps.
- your tablet's battery charge level has to be over 50%, as it will prevent it from powering off during the installation process.
After you install the new custom ROM you can use the CyanogenMod Updates menu from under Settings> About Device section in order to search for newer CM 13 releases.
How to install CM 13.0 Android 6.0.1 Stable ROM for 2013 Nexus 7 LTE:
- Download the CM 13.0 SNAPSHOT zip file from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 6.0.1 ROMs from here.
- Move both zip files to your phone's internal storage.
- after you've completed the transfer you should get to the next step and disconnect your phone from PC.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off your tablet.
- Now boot the Nexus 7 in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create the NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- CWM: select 'backup and restore'.
- TWRP: select 'backup'.
- set a name for the file and select the system parts you wish to backup.
- After the backup is done you will have to factory reset your device:
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: select 'wipe'.
- confirm process.
- Now you can begin the Android 6.0.1 installation process for your Nexus 7 LTE:
- for CWM select 'install zip from sdcard', and then the 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- for TWRP open the INSTALL options.
- Locate the CM 13.0 SNAPSHOT zip and confirm its installation process.
- When the CM 13 ROM is installed you can flash the Gapps zip in the same way.
- After all files are done installing you can reboot your phone in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process of this new ROM is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use your usual login data in order to regain control over your device and to restore all the apps.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CM 13.0 ROM installation.
If the installation process fails, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole guide more than once. Also, make sure that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
Check the Custom Recovery version and then make sure that it is the latest version possible, as the older build of CWM / TWRP Custom Recovery will not be able to flash a Marshmallow-based custom ROM.
If you need any extra help completing the tutorial, then you can tell us in comments and we will try to come up with solutions and help you complete the CM 13.0 installation successfully.