The CM 13 Nightly custom ROMs are now live for all the Motorola Moto E 1st-gen models. Check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully flash the brand new custom ROMs.
The CM 13 Nightly ROM is based on the Android 6.0 AOSP releases and it packs all the stock Marshmallow features and functions. Beside all the stock Marshmallow features you will find tons of extra CM goodies and other functions designed by the CyanogenMod team. Check the CM blog page here for more info on this release.
Before starting the installation process you should read the following guidelines:
- use this post only for the Motorola Moto E 1st-gen model.
- this is the device launched in 2014.
- don't try to use this post for any other different models.
- your phone has to be rooted and it should be running the latest version of a custom Recovery that's based on CWM or TWRP.
- the installed custom Recovery has to be updated to its latest version, so that it supports the new Android 6.0-based ROMs.
- in the tutorial part of this post you will find two extra preparation steps: the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset steps.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a complete restore point for your smartphone, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn't boot in normal mode.
- the 'factory reset' process wipes clean the system partition, and it removes the old ROM allowing you to flash the new CM 13 ROM on your device.
- factory resetting the device won't remove any data from internal storage, but it will delete all the installed apps.
- if you need to save any data from installed apps, then you should use the Helium tool for Android.
- check the battery charge level of your phone and make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent the device from powering off during installation.
- note that this post has to be used by advanced users only.
- we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case the device powers off during installation.
- read the entire guide and make sure not to skip any steps that we've listed below.
After you complete the CM 13 Nightly installation you should go straight to CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About Phone. Use the CM Updates menu to search for new CM 13 Nightly builds.
Continue keeping the CM 13 Nightly updated to its latest releases, so that you will be running the most stable and better custom ROM build at all times.
How to flash CM 13 Android 6.0 Nightly ROM for Motorola Moto E 2014:
- Download the CM 13 Nightly zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 6.0 ROMs from here.
- Connect your device to your PC via usb cable. Now transfer both zip files straight to your phone's internal storage.
- do not unzip the files.
- disconnect the device from computer.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- that's a guide for Moto E 2015, but it will work for the 1st-gen Moto E models, too.
- Create a new NANDROID ROM Backup:
- CWM: select 'backup and restore'.
- TWRP: select 'backup' option.
- note that the custom Recovery doesn't necessarily need to be a stock CWM / TWRP build.
- Factory Reset the phone:
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: select 'wipe' option.
- Start the CM 13 Nightly Android 6.0 ROM installation:
- CWM: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- TWRP: select 'install' option.
- Find the CM 13 zip and confirm its flashing process.
- don't press any buttons until all the new custom ROM files are done installing on your device.
- When the ROM is done flashing you can install the Gapps zip in the same way.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode when all the new files are done installing.
- Use your default Google account info in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
In case the first boot process of CM 13 Nightly doesn't complete after 20 minutes, or the phone enters in a boot loop, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole installation more than once.
If you do repeat installation, then you will have to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't be skipping any steps.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the CM 13 installation on your Moto E 2014 device.
Remember to continue installing future new CM 13 builds using the CyanogenMod Updates menu from under Settings> About Phone section. For any extra help you can use the comments field below.