The CyanogenMod team has released the official CM 13 Nightlies for all the Verizon Galaxy S4 smartphones. Check all the info listed in this post in order to learn how to flash the new custom ROM.
If you want to test all the new CyanogenMod features and Android 6.0 OS, then this is the custom ROM that you should run on your phone. Read more about this release here. Before starting installation you should check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphones.
- do not try to flash the files listed in this post on any other different Android devices.
- your phone has to be rooted and it should also run a custom Recovery.
- the installed custom Recovery can be based on CWM or TWRP Recoveries.
- make sure that the installed recovery is updated to its latest build so that it will support the new Android 6.0-based custom ROMs.
- in the how-to part below you will find two extra preparation steps like the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device, one that can be used in case you the new CM 13 ROM doesn't boot successfully.
- the 'factory reset' has to be applied in order to remove the old ROM and make room for the new CM installation.
- factory resetting the device is going to wipe all data on the system partition, but it won't delete any files from the internal storage.
- in case you wish to save data from installed apps, then you should try the Helium app.
- Contacts info can be synced with your default Gmail account.
- use this post only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you lose any data in the process nor in case you end up bricking the smartphone.
- check your phone's battery charge level, it should be over 50%, so that the Galaxy S4 won't switch off during installation.
Check the CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About Phone section to continue updating the CM 13 ROM in the future. Using the same CyanogenMod Updates menu you will end up being one of the first receiving notifications whenever a new CM 13 Stable Build goes live for download.
How to flash CM 13 Android 6.0 Nightly ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4:
- Download the CM 13 Nightly zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 6.0 ROMs from here.
- Transfer the zip files on your phone's internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can disconnect the device from PC.
- do not unzip the archived contents.
- Power off the phone.
- Now boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- First you have to create a NANDROID Backup:
- CWM: select 'backup and restore'.
- TWRP: select 'backup'.
- Factory Reset your device:
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: select 'wipe'.
- Start the CM 13 installation:
- CWM: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- TWRP: select 'install'.
- Find the CM 13 zip and confirm its installation process.
- When the CM 13 installation is done installing you can flash the Gapps zip, too.
- After you complete installing all the new files you can reboot the device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the Android 6.0 CM 13 ROM on your Verizon Galaxy S4 device.
In case the first boot process of this new ROM doesn't complete, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole guide more than once. Make sure that you won't be skipping any steps and that your phone meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.