The official Android 7.1 Nightlies by CyanogenMod are now live for the CAF version of the Google Nexus 5 devices. Check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully install the new custom ROM for your device.
The CyanogenMod team has pushed the new official for the CAF Hammerhead variant of the Nexus 5. The CAF variant runs Qualcomm-specific custom kernel instead of the default Qualcomm Nexus 5 kernel.
You can learn more about the CM 14.1 build by going to CyanogenMod's blog post here.
If you want to install this CyanogenMod 14 Nougat Nightly on your device, then you will need to check the following guidelines first:
- use this tutorial only with the Google Nexus 5 devices.
- do not attempt to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- this tutorial requires your Nexus 5 device to be rooted and it should run the latest the version of TWRP custom Recovery.
- the installed custom Recovery has to be upgraded to its latest possible version, so that it supports the latest Android 7.0 installation.
- in the tutorial part of this post you can find two extra steps like NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM, and the Factory Reset ones.
- the NANDROID BACKUP step creates a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new custom ROM doesn't boot in normal mode.
- the NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM is great in case the CM 14.1 ROM doesn't boot successfully meaning that you are forced to restore your device to stock Android firmware.
- the Factory Reset process is needed in order to wipe clean the device's system partition.
- Factory Resetting the device will not delete any data from the internal storage.
- these steps are both listed in the tutorial part of this post, and you shouldn't skip them when encountered.
- if you need to backup any data from internal storage, then you will have to use the Helium app for Android.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- this is a tutorial that you should use only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the device.
How to install Android 7.1 Nougat CM 14.1 Nightly ROM for Nexus 5 CAF model:
- Download the CM 14.1 Nightly zip file for HammerheadCAF from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 7.1 ROMs from here.
- After the downloads are done you can copy both zip files to your phone's internal storage.
- do not unzip these files.
- disconnect your phone from PC after the files are copied on your device.
- Power off the Nexus 5 and then boot it in Custom TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that's already installed on your device.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device.
Select 'backup' option, then choose the system files that you wish to save and confirm the process.
- You can Factory Reset the device now: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- Now you can begin the CM 14.1 Nougat Nightly installation process. Tap INSTALL, then find and load CM 14.1 Nightly zip file in TWRP Recovery.
- Confirm the installation process of this new custom ROM. Don't press any buttons until the installation is done.
- Install the Gapps zip in the same way after the CM 14.1 Nougat Nightly is done flashing.
- Reboot your Nexus 5 in normal mode after all files are done flashing.
After you install the update you can get to CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About Phone and use it to download and install the CM 14.1 updates.
If you need any other help you can tell us in comments. In case the installation above fails, you can choose to repeat the whole tutorial more than once, but make sure not to skip any steps and that your phone meets all requirements listed above.