The new official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow updates were released only for the Nexus 5 and other newer Nexus models, while the Nexus 4 update support was dropped by Google.
However, in this post you can find a great Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow port for you to install on your Nexus 4 device, called Fake Nexus ROM.
The Fake Nexus project comprises the AOSP Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow MMB29Q features and functions. The ROM's developers states that the Fake Nexus is "almost the same as Pure Nexus Stock image", which means that you will be getting Doze feature, App permissions controls, Google Now on Tap, and the Multiwindow feature, that can be enabled from Developer Options menu.
The only thing now working in this release is the Google Camera 3, but you it still features the old, but reliable Google Camera 2.5 app. Before installing this ROM on your Nexus 4 you should check the following guidelines below.
If you need to learn more about this release go to XDA Developers here.
Use this tutorial only for the Google Nexus 4 devices.
It would be best for your Nexus 4 to be running the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware build, but you can install it over a custom ROM or older other different Nexus ROMs.
USB Debugging has to be enabled under Developer Options menu.
If you can't find Developer Options, then you can to go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
Get to the Settings menu, go to Developer Options and enable the USB Debugging option.
Use this tutorial only in case you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
Check battery charge level of your device and make sure that it is over 50%, as that's going to prevent your phone from powering off during the installation process.
Read the whole tutorial and do not skip any steps.
How to manually update Google Nexus 4 with Fake Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow ROM:
The first thing that you should be doing is to setup Android SDK on your computer. Here's how to do it:
Download the Android SDK here.
Install it on your computer.
Launch SDK Manager exe and use it to download, then install all required SDK packages and usb drivers.
Find the platform-tools older, it should be under the SDK installation directory.
Download Google USB Drivers here in case your Nexus 4 is not detected by the computer.
That's it, now you can start the Fake Android 6.0.1 MMB29Q Marshmallow installation for your Nexus 4:
- Download the Nexus 4 Fake Android 6.0.1 from the links below:
Stable Release here.
Test Release here.
- we recommend installing the Stable Release first, and upgrade to Test some time in the future.
- Place the "occam-img-....zip" file in the platform-tools folder.
- that's the folder that you've created while setting up the Android SDK for your PC.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot the Nexus 4 in Fastboot Mode.
- that's a boot fastboot for Nexus 5 guide, but it works for the Nexus 4 device,too.
- Connect your phone to your PC via usb cable.
- verify that the Nexus 4 was detected and then continue to the next step.
- Launch a command prompt in the platform-tools folder.
- it can be done by holding SHIFT, then you can right-click on the folder's empty space to select 'open command window here'.
- In order to start the installation you will need to enter one of the following command lines:
If you are running a stock Factory Image on your Nexus 4 enter this: fastboot update occam-img-20160108.zip
If you are running other custom ROM, then you need to factory reset the Nexus 4. Enter this command line: fastboot -w update occam-img-20160108.zip
- Confirm the installation process and do not press any buttons until all the new files are flashed.
- When the Fake Android 6.0.1 Nexus ROM is installed you can reboot your phone in normal mode.
- Use your default Google Account login info in order to regain control over your device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the Android 6.0.1 Fake ROM installation for your Google Nexus 4 device.
In case the installation fails, then you should repeat the tutorial more than once.