The Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 with model number A520 just starting to receive the June 2018 Security Patch in form of a new update which brings the firmware built number to A520FXXU4CREF. The software is currently available only for the A520 version of this device with the official roll out being available in the United Arab Emirates, but soon more markets will be added to this OTA release process. Anyhow, the same update can be downloaded and manually flashed on your Galaxy A5 and we are here to show you how to successfully complete this dedicated operation.
The June 2018 Security Patch is not a major OS improvement. It’s not an OS switch as you won’t be getting new features, apps or capabilities. It’s a minor patch released to address recently reported bugs and security breaches. Shortly, the update is here to smooth up the Android functionality and to secure your online activity. Bottom line, if you want to experience a fully stable Android OS, then you have to install this latest OTA from Samsung on your Galaxy A5 2017.
As already outlined, the June 2018 Security Patch is OTA available, but it can be received in form of an Android notification only in certain conditions: you need to own the A520 model of the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017, your smartphone must run on official Android OS and tweaks shouldn’t be enabled (for example, if root access was gained you won’t be able to receive the OTA package). Good; so as you can observe in some situations it would be better to just know how to manually install the firmware file on your Samsung branded device.
And that operation can be successfully completed by using Odin, the official flashing program developed by Samsung and designed to be used especially for update types of procedures. Thus, you won’t have to use third party apps or other risky platforms for resuming the steps explained below. Moreover, since you are going to use the official Android OS, you don’t have to worry about losing access to built-in apps or about tripping Samsung KNOX – no, you won’t risk in losing your Galaxy A5 warranty while manually installing the June 2018 Security Patch.
However, you do have to save your personal data, info and accounts before using Odin for resuming the steps from below. This is a precaution measure as your data should be safe and secured all the time – only in rare situations something might get wiped out while Odin is being used. But, since the risk is there, you will better secure your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and so on. Do note that on your Galaxy A5 you can use different backup and restore built-in apps, you can choose to sync files with your Google Account or you can save everything by using already tested backup and restore apps available on Google Play.
If your smartphone was tweaked, after installing the June 2018 Security patch you will manage to revoke these tweaks: the root access will be revoked, the stock recovery image will be reinstalled, the bloatware will be re-flashed and so on. Moreover, your device will be restored back to its factory state meaning that you can use the steps available below for addressing different software related problems including bugs, hangs, screen freeze, battery drain, heating problems, signal strength issues, total blackouts and similar other malfunctions.
In order to successfully complete the June 2018 Security Patch flashing operation, you first have to review the essential pre-requisites:
- A computer, preferably running on Windows, must be used because there is where you will set up Odin.
- On this computer the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 drivers must be already installed – you can flash the right drivers for your phone by using the Samsung KIES toolkit.
- On your handset you have to enable Developer Options: in order to do so go to About Phone (within Menu - > Settings) and tap repeatedly on Built Number; after 7 or 10 taps you should receive the ‘you are a developer’ message.
- Then, from Developer Options you have to check the USB Debugging option – otherwise you might not be able to properly connect your smartphone with your computer when that will be asked for.
- You must charge your Galaxy A5 2017 before installing the June 2018 Security Patch by using Odin – plug in the charger only if the power that’s left is currently lower than 50%.
- Note: if a sudden shut down will happen on your device while you try to complete the steps from below you will risk in soft bricking your device.
- Of course, choose to follow and apply the steps explained below only if you own the 2017 version of the Samsung Galaxy A5 with model number A520 because the June 2018 Security Patch is currently available only for this particular model of the A5.
How to Install June 2018 Security Patch on Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)
- Power on your computer, enable a WiFi connection and then open your web browser client.
- Navigate towards this page and download Odin; then run the executable file, follow on-screen prompts and set up the flashing program on your PC.
- Finally, download the June 2018 Security Patch for your Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) from here and save the package on desktop.
- Run the flashing program on your PC.
- Switch off your smartphone and wait a few moments until the shut down operation is completed.
- Next, reboot download mode on your Galaxy A5: press and hold the Power, Volume Down and Home buttons together, for a few seconds; finally, connect your phone with your computer via USB cable.
- Odin must recognize your handset: the ‘added’ message must be displayed and the ID:COM field must be turned yellow or blue; if not, reinstall your phone’s drivers on your computer and repeat the steps from above.
- Now on Odin click on the AP button and load the June 2018 Security Patch from desktop.
- When asked, make sure the Re Partition and the Auto Reboot options aren’t selected.
- Click on Start when you are ready; the flashing process will automatically start.
- Wait while the installation operation is completed; when it’s done you will receive the ‘pass’ message and the ID:COM which will then be colored green.
- At this point it’s safe to close Odin and unplug the USB cable; also, reboot your Samsung Galaxy A5 2017.
Issues that can occur during the update operation and solutions to fix everything
Problems with Odin
It’s possible to experience problems with Odin as the flashing program might get stuck in the middle of the update operation. If that happens you will have to consider in following: close Odin and ends its associated processes from Task Manager (press and hold the Ctrl+Alt+Del keyboard hotkeys); unplug your phone from your computer; force restart your Galaxy A5; reinstall your phone’s drivers on your PC; repeat the steps explained above.
Problems with your smartphone
That last reboot that must be completed in the end will take a longer time to complete than a regular one. However, it shouldn’t cause a boot loop; if it does, then you need to follow: enter recovery mode on your Android device (press and hold the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons for a short while) and from recovery initiate a hard reset and clear app data cache; mainly, choose ‘wipe data factory reset’ followed by ‘wipe dalvik cache’; in the end, return to main menu of recovery and pick ‘reboot system now’.
There you have it; those are the steps that should help you manually update your Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 to June 2018 Security Patch. If you managed to set this new update on your phone, start testing its performance and share your overall Android experience with us and with the other users who are ready to follow the step by step guide explained above – you can easily and quickly get in touch with us by using the comments field available below. Other than that just stay close if you want to learn about other update opportunities available for your Galaxy A5 and check out our ‘how to’ section for using other Android related tips and tricks that might help you smartly use your Android based device.