The official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update with October Security Patches is now live for all the Unlocked Samsung Galaxy A8 A800F models.
If you do not want to wait until Samsung pushes the new firmware update in your region, then you should be checking the info in this post, as you will learn how to successfully flash the new Update manually. For the manual update process you will have to use the ODIN app.
This guide is great for those that were running a custom ROM on their phones, as by using ODIN and the Stock Android 6.0.1 Update files you can easily restore your device to stock Android firmware in no time.
Before starting the installation process you have to check the following guidelines:
- this guide should be used only with the Unlocked Samsung Galaxy A8 SM-A800F devices.
- the model number of your phone can be verified under Settings> About Phone section.
- don't use this tutorial for any other devices.
- download Samsung USB Driver from here and install it on your PC.
- for the update process you will use Odin app, and for Odin to work successfully you have to install the above usb drivers and to enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- the Developer Options menu might be hidden and you have to go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
- return to Settings, scroll down and you will find the Developer Options menu.
- open Developer Options and find USB Debugging to enable it, too.
- if you install the update over rooted firmware, then you will lose root access.
- any custom Recovery that you might have installed is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- you can flash the new official update with ODIN over custom ROMs, too, but you will have to Factory Reset the device, so that it will boot in normal mode after the update is done installing.
- the Factory Reset process will wipe clean the system partition, and it will force the phone to boot successfully.
- Factory Resetting the device will not delete any data from internal storage.
- the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of this post.
- in case your Galaxy A8 phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue to the next part of this post and start the update process.
- read the entire tutorial and do not skip any steps.
- this is a guide for advanced users, as we can't be held responsible in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
How to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow A800FXXU1BPJ3 Update for Galaxy A8 A800F with ODIN 3.10.7:
- Download the Android 6.0.1 A800FXXU1BPJ3 archive file from here.
- When the download is done you can unzip the archived contents and save them on your PC.
- after the unzip is completed you will obtain the A800FXXU1BPJ3 tar.md5 firmware update file.
- do not extract the A800FXXU1BPJ3 tar.md5 file, as this is the one file you need to load in Odin and flash.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 zip from here.
- after the download is done you need to unzip the files.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot your smartphone in Download Mode now.
- it can be done by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
- Open Odin exe on your PC.
- Use the usb cable and connect your Galaxy A8 device to your PC.
- wait until the ODIN app detects the phone and then get to the next step.
- in case your device isn't recognized you need to try and reinstall the Samsung USB Drivers once more.
- Go back to Odin and click AP. Find and load the A800FXXU1BPJ3 tar.md5 Update file in ODIN.
- Confirm installation of Android 6.0.1 update by pressing the START button.
- don't press anything until the update is done.
- When the Android 6.0.1 is installed by ODIN you will see the PASS option, and the Galaxy A8 will reboot in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process of this new Custom ROM is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Unplug your phone from PC when "optimizing apps" screen loads on your Galaxy A8 screen.
- Use the default login info in order to regain control over your smartphone once again.
If you need any extra help with this post you can check the extra instructions listed below. Also, feel free to tell us in comments where you've got stuck, and we will try to come up with solutions for any problems you might have found during installation.
If ODIN displays the FAIL alert, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial more than once.
If you repeat installation you need to make sure that your device meets all requirements, and that you won't be skipping any steps listed above.
In case the ODIN tool shows the PASS message, but your smartphone enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you will be forced to Factory Reset the phone for it to boot in normal mode.
The Factory Reset process wipes clean system partition, while it leaves the internal storage untouched. Factory Resetting the smartphone will make it boot in normal mode with the stock Android 6.0.1 update.
The Factory Reset steps need to be applied by those that have installed the Android 6.0.1 update over a custom ROM, too.
Here's how to factory reset the device:
- power off the device.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- it can be load Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power.
- select 'wipe data/ factory reset' option.
- confirm the process.
- reboot phone in normal mode and you're done with this post.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the update. If you need any extra help you can tell us in comments.