The official Android 5.0.1 Lollipop OTA Update has been released by Samsung for all the International Samsung Galaxy S4 Active users.
Since this new update hasn’t been released in all regions, then you can choose to flash it using this manual tutorial. Before starting the installation process you will have to check the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active smartphone.
– check the model number of your device and make sure that it is GT – I9295.
– the model number can be verified under Settings> About Phone.
- download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your computer.
– download them from here.
– by installing the USB Drivers you will make sure that thee Odin app will allow your PC to detect the phone.
– Odin is the application that we will use to flash this new firmware on your device.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options prior to starting the installation process.
– if you can’t find Developer Options, then you will have to go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
– go back to Developer Options under Settings menu, as it should now be listed there.
– open Developer Options, enable it and scroll down to tick the USB Debugging option.
- disable Samsung KIES on your PC if you have it installed on it.
– also, you will have to disable any antivirus app too.
– these apps are going to prevent Odin from opening on your computer.
- if your Galaxy S4 Active device is rooted, then the updating process will revoke root access completely.
– also, any custom Recovery that you might have installed on your device is going to be removed in the process and replaced with a stock Recovery.
- if your device sports a custom ROM, then you will have to apply an extra ‘factory reset’ step, so that it boots in normal mode with the new official firmware.
– the ‘factory reset’ steps are listed at the end of this post.
- if your Galaxy S4 Active device is sporting a stock Android firmware then you can install the new Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM firmware without encountering any problems.
- this is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us if you brick the device nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
- if you want to save data from installed games and other applications, then you should use the Helium tool for Android.
– you can sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- check the battery charge level, it has to be over 50%.
– this will prevent the phone from powering down during the first Android 5.0 boot process.
- read the whole guide and make sure not to skip any steps if you want to complete installation at your first attempt.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash official Android 5.0.1 I9295XXUDOD3 Lollipop for Galaxy S4 Active I9295:
- Download the I9295XXUDOD3 Android 5.0.1 firmware zip file from here.
- After the download is complete you should extract its contents and save them on your PC.
– you will obtain a tar.md5 file with the I9295XXUDOD3 in its name.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 from here.
– unzip the files and save them on your PC.
- Now you can power off the phone.
- Next, boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch Odin3 v3.09 exe on your PC.
- Connect your device to your computer via USB Cable.
– wait for Odin to detect the device and then continue to the next step.
– if the phone is not detected then you will have to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Click on ‘AP’ option button and browse your PC for the I9295XXUDOD3 tar.md5 file. Load it in Odin.
– make sure that the ‘Re-Partition’ option is not enabled.
- Press the START button when you’re ready to begin Android 5.0 installation on your Galaxy S4 Active device.
– do not press any buttons until the install is complete.
- After Odin has finished installing the new firmware you will see the Galaxy S4 Active restarting.
– unplug the phone from PC after the Samsung boot animation screen loads.
- Use your usual login info in order to regain control over your Galaxy S4 Active device.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation easily and that you’re testing the new Android 5.0 firmware on your device.
The first boot process of this new ROM will take somewhere around 10 minutes before it starts to load the Android 5.0 apps, so you shouldn’t panic in case it doesn’t boot right away in normal mode.
If you encounter any problems, then you should check the extra ‘notes’ below.
If Odin says that the installation has failed or it was blocked for any reason from installing all files, then you will have to try and repeat the whole guide more than once.
Make sure not to skip any steps and that your phone meets all requirements before repeating the whole guide.
If Odin displays the ‘PASS’ alert, but it isn’t able to go past the boot animation after more than 30 minutes have passed, or it enters in a boot loop, then you will have to apply an extra ‘factory reset’ step.
The ‘factory reset’ process needs to be used by users that have flashed Android 5.0 official firmware update over a custom ROM too. It will allow the devices to boot in normal mode, but you will lose all installed apps and other data stored on the system memory partition.
Factory Reset doesn’t remove any files from internal nor external storage.
Here’s how to apply the ‘factory reset’: switch off the device, then boot it in Recovery Mode, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm process. Reboot the phone in normal mode after the process is complete.
If you need more help you should use the comments field below.