Since now, the official built of Lineage OS was available only for the unlocked version of the LG G3. Well, starting from today you can use the same Android Nougat based software on a certain carrier branded model of the same device. Yes, that’s right, you can successfully flash the official Lineage OS on the Sprint LG G3. The update process is explained and detailed below, so take your time and read everything before applying something on your smartphone.
The official Lineage OS for the Sprint LG G3 comes with the Android 7.1.1 Nougat software along with dedicated features, apps and capabilities that cannot be found on the stock system. The ROM is designed to offer a better Android experience than the stock firmware and to tweak the performance of your phone so that you can unleash the full potential of your LG G3 regardless the operations, apps and processes you want to perform on your phone.
Also, the official Lineage release means a fully stable ROM that can smoothly run on the Sprint LG G3 – until now there aren’t any problems reported by the users who have already flashed and tested this firmware. Overall, with this Nougat custom ROM installed your smartphone should run better and faster while the battery life will be upgraded. In addition you can choose to customize, optimize and personalize everything else – your phone’s Android core system will become your new playground.
Of course, you shouldn’t forget that the Lineage OS is a custom ROM and not an official Android update. The ROM takes the CyanogenMod platform further and brings a new custom touch to the stock Android firmware. The ROM is developed by third party devs so it cannot be associated with LG or with Google which basically means that you are about to complete an unofficial update procedure – which will void the warranty of your device: starting from now, taking your LG G3 back to service or back to Sprint will imply in paying for the technical assistance, thus it is recommended to check a manual troubleshoot tutorial for just in case.
During the Lineage OS update process you will have to hard reset the Sprint LG G3 and to clear app data cache. So, you will have to wipe the system of your phone which puts your personal data, info, accounts and files in danger. Therefore, if you have important data saved on your device, before resuming the steps from down below, make a general backup – you can easily secure your files by using your Google Account (sync your data with your account) or by using any other backup and restore solutions such as using already built-in cloud storage platforms or downloading compatible backup and restore apps from Google Play.
You have to root your Sprint LG G3 before using this guide. The root access is not optional as the new Android Nougat custom ROM can be installed only on an unlocked Android platform. Furthermore, the custom ROM will be offered in form of a .zip file which can be flashed through a custom recovery image. Thus, I recommend you to install the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery on your LG G3 before doing anything else.
You can use the custom recovery image in order to apply another additional process: a Nandroid backup. This will be a dedicated backup operation that can help you prevent further problems or unpleasant situations. The Nandroid backup process will save the Android OS that runs on your LG G3. So, if after completing this tutorial you will want to revert, you will be able to easily do so by using the very same Nandroid backup package.
For the update process you will also need to: make sure that a computer is near you – there you will download the required files; your Sprint LG G3 and its USB cable will be also required; on your phone you have to check the USB Debugging option which is found under “menu - > settings - > developer options”; if developer options can’t be accessed, first go to “menu - > settings - > about phone” and tap 7 times repeatedly on Built Number; charge your phone’s battery if the power left is currently lower than 50% - otherwise your device might get turned off, and possible soft bricked, during the update operation from down below.
How to Install Official Lineage OS based on Android 7.1.1 Nougat Firmware on Sprint LG G3
- Begin by downloading the files which will be used during this flashing process: you can get the official Lineage OS for your Sprint LG G3 from here and you can download compatible Google Apps from here.
- Save these files on your computer, preferable on desktop.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer via USB cable – your phone must be turned on when you establish the USB connection.
- Select the downloaded files and transfer them on your phone; wait while the copy-paste process is completed and when done remove the USB cord.
- Power off your handset and wait a few moments while the shut down process is completed.
- Then, reboot recovery mode on your LG G3. From there you first have to make the wipe in order to prepare the Android system for the update process that will follow.
- So, select: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery and pick “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick up the Lineage OS and the Google Apps package and resume the installation process by following on-screen prompts.
- When done, go back to main menu of recovery and choose “reboot system now”.
Good work; you can test the official Lineage OS on your own Sprint LG G3. Check out everything that’s new in the Android 7.1.1 Nougat system and run all the new apps and tools in order to see how the new ROM is acting in different situations. Of course, don’t forget about us and use the comments field from below in order to share your thoughts and your impressions with our team and with other users who might want to use this step by step update guide. Enjoy.