The ParanoidAndroid is a custom ROM that now is based on the AOSPA 3+ project, which is a new ROM created by the Paranoid team. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully flash this custom ROM on your Galaxy S3 model number I9300 which is the International variant. This guide won't work with the US versions of the SGS3 so you shouldn't use this post to update them. Read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps that I have listed below.
The latest version of the Paranoid Android is 3.10 and it is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOSP and CyanogenMod builds. The best features of this ROM are these: new Mali drivers from CM, PIE Controls, PIE toggle icons, QuickSettings has been updated, PIE Controls disable support, latest SuperUser integrated, Battery Circle option has been added along with numerous other functions and options. Use this guide if you want to install one of the best Android 4.2.2 JB custom ROMs.
Despite all the good things that you will find in this AOSPA 3+ project, you will still find some errors and bugs. Camera crashes on first flash-shot but if you restart the camera it will go away. The Home button will take you to Home instead of the recent running app when the screen is off. FM Radio is not supported but, you can use the Spirit FM Radio app. TV Out is not supported and it won't work since Samsung hasn't released the source files for it. There is also no exFAT support.
In order to flash this custom ROM you will have to read the guidelines listed below:
- use the guide only for the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300. Don't attempt to update the US versions of the S3 using the files in this post.
- Your Galaxy S3 has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image.
- Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM before starting updating your device with ParanoidAndroid 3.10 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM. Creating a backup will set a restore point for your smartphone in case the new device will not boot after installing the new ROM.
- Since this guide will tell you to factory reset the phone, then you will have to backup some data from your /system partition. Data files such as Call logs, SMS etc: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these tools will ask for root access.
- Sync your Gmail account with your Contacts/ People app in order to backup all the phone numbers and contact details.
- Make sure that the device's battery charge level is over 50% so that it won't power off in the middle of the updating process.
- Use the guide only if you're an advanced Android user. Ask for extra help in comments and we will offer you viable solutions for any problems that you might encounter while updating your Galaxy S3 to AOSPA 3+ ROM.
- We cannot be blamed in case you lose any data or you brick the smartphone. Don't attempt to update your device in case you don't know what you're doing.
- Don't skip any steps that I have listed below.
NOTE: In case your Galaxy S3 I9300 already runs on a previous build of ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean ROM, then you will not have to apply the 'factory reset' step that is listed in the tutorial. However, in case you don't factory reset the phone and then device doesn't boot into normal mode with AOSPA 3+ ROM then you will have to repeat the entire 'how-to' guide and factory reset your SGS3.
You'll find all the info in the tutorial.
How to flash ParanoidAndroid 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the AOSPA 3+ custom ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC and don't unzip its contents.( If the link is broken then you can find another one on the ParanoidAndroid's XDA thread.)
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 JB ROMs from HERE. Save the file without extracting the files comprised within.
- Download and flash these NFC fixes files only if you're having problems with the NFC function. Flash the NFC zips after you install Gapps.
- Connect your SGS3 to your computer and then move the files onto the phone's internal SDcard. Don't unzip any of the files you just transferred. Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied successfully.
- Power off the Galaxy S3.
- Boot your device into CWM Recovery mode by pressing at the same time Volume Up, Home and Power.
- OPTIONAL: Select 'backup and restore' option from the main menu of CWM Recovery mode. It will create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM and you can use the 'restore' function in case the phone doesn't boot with the new ParanoidAndroid custom ROM or, in case you simply don't like how your SGS3 runs on this new OS. However, it would be best if you won't skip this step.
- IMPORTANT: Select 'wipe data/ factory reset' option and confirm this process. NOTE: if your device runs on a previous ParanoidAndroid 4.1 / 4.2 Jelly Bean ROM then you might skip this step. But, if the phone doesn't boot with the new ROM then you should return and apply this step.
- Select 'install zip from sdcard' now from the main menu of the CWM Recovery Mode. Next, select 'choose zip from sdcard' and find the PA I9300 ROM zip file. Confirm the installation.
- Select again the 'choose zip from sdcard' and install the Gapps zip. Now, if you find any errors with the NFC then you should flash the zips listed in step 3.
- Return to the main custom Recovery menu when all files have been successfully installed.
- Select 'reboot system now' and wait until the device powers on in normal mode.
Test the new ParanoidAndroid 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for your Galaxy S3 and tell us in comments if you found any errors while using it. If you don't like this new custom ROM then you should use CWM Recovery and the 'restore' function to roll back your device's OS to the previous ROM.
If you have any other questions please post them in our comments section.