The Paranoid Android 5.0 Alpha 1 ROM is finally available for the 2012 edition of the Nexus 7 Wi-Fi tablet. Check the instructions that we've listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully install it on your device.
This new PA 5.0 Alpha is based on the latest AOSP Android 5.0.2 Lollipop and CM 12 custom ROM. It isn't a final stable builds, as its still in its "alpha" stage and you might find some errors or bugs while testing it. After the 'alpha' stage is over the Paranoid Android team will continue to release 'beta' builds and finally after those 'beta' builds are successfully tested you will be getting the first PA 5.0 Stable ROM. Check here or here for more info on this new ROM.
Read the guidelines below before starting the installation process:
- use this post only with the 2012 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi tablet.
- if you own a 2013 version of Nexus 7 then you should check the following guides in order to install PA 5.0 Alpha for them: LTE 2013 Nexus 7 and Wi-Fi 2013 Nexus 7.
- do not try to update any other tablets with the files that you will find in this post.
- your device has to be rooted and its installed CWM or TWRP custom Recovery has to be updated to its latest version, so that it supports Android 5.x Lollipop custom ROMs.
- in the tutorial you will find two extra steps like the NANDROID ROM Backup and Factory Reset.
- these steps should not be skipped.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn't boot in normal mode.
- the Factory Reset wipes clean the system partition, but it doesn't remove any data from internal storage.
- if you need to save data from installed apps or any other type of files, then you should use the Helium tool for Android.
- Contacts info and People data can be synchronized with the default Gmail account that you've assigned for your device.
- the tablet's battery charge level has to be over 50%, it will prevent the device from powering down during installation.
- read the entire tutorial and do not skip any steps if you want to install the new ROM at your first attempt.
- this is a guide that has to be used by advanced Android users.
- you can't blame us in case you lose any data in the process.
Since you've read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Paranoid Android 5.0 Alpha ROM for 2012 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi:
- Download the PA 5.0 Alpha ROM here.
- Download Gapps for Paranoid Android 5.x ROMs here.
- Move both zip files to your tablet's internal storage.
- after the file are transferred you can disconnect the tablet from PC.
- do not extract the archived contents of the zip files.
- Power off the tablet and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- First you will need to create the NANDROID ROM Backup:
- for CWM select 'backup and restore'.
- for TWRP select 'backup' option.
- you should set an easy to remember name for the backup file and then confirm process.
- Factory Reset the tablet:
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: press 'Wipe'.
- confirm and continue to the next step when done.
- Start the Paranoid Android 5.0 Alpha 1 Lollipop ROM install process for your Nexus 7:
- CWM: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard' option.
- TWRP: press 'Install'.
- Find the ROM zip file and confirm the flashing process.
- When the PA 5.0 Alpha ROM is flashed with success you can install the Gapps zip, too. Use the same actions as in step 7 in order to find the Gapps file.
- Reboot your device in normal mode after all the files have installed.
Note that the first boot process of this new ROM takes a while before it loads all the new files. If you need any extra help you can use the comments field at the end of this post.