The SlimROMs team is back and it has released the new Slim6 Alpha test builds based on Marshmallow OS for Nexus 5.
The new Slim6 Alpha ROMs are based on the AOSP Android 6.0.1 ROMs, but you will find tons of extra features like these: advanced reboot menu, rebinding support for Slim's hardware keys, support for layers, Slim Doze/ Ambient display options, proximity wake, proximity speaker, DPI changer, slim launcher, root access and more.
Read the following guidelines before starting the installation of this new custom ROM:
- use the guide only for the Google Nexus 5 devices.
- do not use the tutorial for other different devices.
- your device needs to be rooted and it should run the newest edition of CWM or TWRP custom Recovery.
- the installed custom Recovery needs to be upgraded to its latest version, so that it supports the installation of all the newest Android 6.0.1-based custom ROM installations.
- in the tutorial part of this post you can find two extra steps like NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset ones.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a complete restore point for your phone, one that can be used in case the new ROM doesn't boot in normal mode.
- the 'factory reset' process wipes clean the system partition, but it won't delete any data from installed apps.
- factory resetting the device won't delete any data from the internal storage of your phone.
- in case you need to save data from installed applications you can use the Helium app.
- this is a tutorial that you should use only by advanced users.
- we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any data files in the process.
- read the entire post and do not skip any steps.
- check your Nexus 5 battery charge level and make sure that there is at least 50% power left before it switches off.
Since you've read all of the above you can get to the next part of this post.
How to flash Slim6 Alpha Android 6.0.1 ROM for Nexus 5:
- Download the Slim6 Alpha 6.0.1 ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 6.0 ROMs from here.
- Both files should be moved to your phone's internal storage.
- do not unzip the files.
- disconnect your Nexus 5 from computer when the transfers are done.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot your device in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create the NANDROID Backup for the ROM that's currently installed on your device:
- CWM: select the 'backup and restore' option, while for TWRP you should open the Backup menu.
- select the system files you wish to save and confirm the process.
- You can factory reset your Nexus 5:
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: select 'wipe' option.
- confirm process.
- Start the Slim6 Alpha 6.0.1 ROM installation:
- CWM: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- TWRP: select 'Install'.
- Find the Slim6 zip and confirm its flashing process.
- When the custom ROM is done installing you can flash the Gapps zip files.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process of this new custom ROM is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use your default Google account in order to regain control over your device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of Slim6 Android 6.0.1 ROM for your Nexus 5 phone.
If the installation fails you should try to repeat the whole guide more than once. If you repeat Slim6 Android 6.0.1 installation you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won't skip any steps listed in the tutorial.