CyanogenMod team has released a brand new stable CM12.1 build for all the HTC One Max International models. Check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully flash the new custom ROM on your device successfully.
The CM 12.1 Stable ROM is based on AOSP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop releases, so you'll be getting tons of extra new features and improvements that usually you couldn't run them on your HTC device. Along with the stock Lollipop OS feature you will get extra CyanogenMod-designed apps and functions. Check the CM blog page here for more info on this release.
Before starting the installation process you should read these guidelines:
- use this post only with the International HTC One Max devices.
- don't try to use this post with any other different One Max smartphones.
- the guides for the Sprint and Verizon models can be found here and here.
- the phone has to be on rooted firmware and a custom Recovery image has to be installed on it.
- both CWM and TWRP custom recoveries are working with this post.
- the installed custom Recovery has to be upgraded to its latest version, so that it supports the latest Android 5.1.1-based custom ROM installations.
- in the tutorial you can find two extra steps that you have to apply before starting the installation:
- the NANDROID ROM Backup step will teach you how to create a restore point for your phone's OS.
- the backup can be used to repair your device in case the new ROM doesn't boot.
- Factory Reset step will remove all the data installed by the previous ROM, as it will remove the system memory partition.
- the 'factory reset' process won't remove any data from internal storage.
- all the installed apps are going to be removed in the process.
- if you need to save data from installed apps you can use the Helium tool for Android.
- Sync Contacts and People details with your default Gmail account.
- your phone's battery charge level has to be over 50%, it will prevent the device from powering off during the installation process.
- this tutorial is destined to be used by advanced users only.
- we cannot be blamed in case you brick your phone nor in case you end up losing any important data.
- read the whole tutorial and make sure not to skip any steps.
Continue updating the CM 12.1 ROM with future builds using the CyanogenMod Updates menu under Settings> About Phone menu.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Stable ROM for International HTC One Max:
- Download the SNAPSHOT CM 12.1 zip file from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 5.1.1-based ROMs from here.
- You have to copy both zip files on to your phone's internal storage.
- do not extract the archived files.
- disconnect the phone from PC after all the files are successfully copied on your device.
- Power off the HTC One Max.
- Next, boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDROID ROM BACKUP for your phone:
- for CWM-based recoveries you can use the 'backup and restore' option.
- for TWRP use 'backup' menu.
- set the backup's name and confirm.
- Confirm the 'factory reset':
- CWM: select the 'wipe data/ factory reset' option.
- for TWRP: select 'wipe' option.
- confirm the factory reset process and get to the next step.
- Start CM 12.1 Stable ROM flashing process:
- CWM: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- TWRP: select 'install' option.
- Find the CM 12.1 ROM and confirm its installation.
- Install the Gapps zip too after all the ROM files are flashed.
- Reboot the HTC One Max in normal mode after all the new files are installed.
Note that the first boot process of this new ROM is going to take a while before it completes. If the HTC One Max gets stuck at the boot animation for more than 30 minutes, then you will have repeat the whole guide more than once.
In case you need extra help completing this guide, then you should try to use the comments field below.