CyanogenMod team has released a brand new CM 12.1 STABLE ROM for your Galaxy Note 2 Verizon smartphone. Check the guidelines listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully flash the brand new custom ROM for your phone.
CM 12.1 Stable is obviously a much better and bug-free custom ROM than the CM 12.1 Nightly builds released by the same developers. If you want to experience a stock Lollipop firmware and some great CyanogenMod-designed features, then this is the tutorial that you should use. Read more about this release here.
Now you can check the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the Verizon Galaxy Note 2 i605 devices.
- check the model number of your phone and make sure that it is the one supported by this post.
- don't try to update any other devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your Note 2 Verizon device needs to be on a rooted firmware and it should run the latest build of either CWM or TWRP Custom Recovery.
- both recoveries are supported by this tutorial.
- in the 'tutorial' part of this post you will find two extra preparation steps: the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset ones.
- don't skip either steps.
- the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore file for your device one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn't boot in normal mode.
- the 'factory reset' wipes the system memory partition, but it won't delete any files from internal storage.
- factory resetting the device means that you will remove the old ROM along with all the installed apps.
- the 'factory reset' will allow your phone to boot in normal mode after the CM 12.1 is done installing.
- use Helium for Android tool in order to backup data from installed apps.
- sync Contacts and People details with you default Gmail account before installing the ROM, so that you will be able to restore such data using the same Google profile after CM 12.1 is installed.
- use this post only if you are an advanced user, we cannot be blamed if you brick the device nor in case you lose any data files.
- read the whole post and make sure not to skip any steps.
- check battery charge level, it has to be over 50%, as it will prevent the device from powering off during installation.
Continue flashing new CM 12.1 builds that the CM team will release soon by using the CyanogenMod updates menu under Settings> About Phone menu.
Since you've read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Stable ROM for Verizon Galaxy Note 2 i605:
- Download CM 12.1 SNAPSHOT ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 5.1.1 ROMs from here.
- Move both zip files on to your phone's internal storage.
- after the transfer is done you can get to the next step and disconnect the phone from PC.
- don't extract the zip file contents.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot the Custom Recovery Mode now.
- Create the NANDROID ROM Backup:
- for CWM use the 'backup and restore' options, while for TWRP you should use the 'backup' option.
- confirm process.
- Apply the 'factory reset':
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: select 'wipe' option.
- Start CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 ROM flashing process:
- for CWM select 'install zip from sdcard'.
- for TWRP select 'install'.
- Find the CM 12.1 SNAPSHOT zip and confirm its installation.
- After the new ROM completes installing all of its files you can flash the Gapps zip, too.
- Reboot your device in normal mode after the ROM and the Gapps files are flashed.
NOTE: first CM 12.1 boot will take at least ten minutes to complete, don't press any buttons until the "optimizing apps" is gone.
If the first boot takes more than 10 minutes to complete, or your phone enters in a boot loop, then you will be forced to try and re-install the ROM. If you do repeat installation, then you have to make sure not to skip any steps and that your Galaxy Note 2 device meets all requirements listed above the tutorial.
Use the comments field below if you need more help completing the guide.