CyanogenMod developers have released the official Android 5.1.1-based Stable CM 12.1 ROM build for all the Verizon HTC One Max users.
Check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully update your device with a brand new custom ROM.
CM 12.1 Stable ROM is based on AOSP Android 5.1.1 releases. You will get all the stock Android 5.1.1 Lollipop features, as well as tons of extra tweaks and extra components designed by the CM team. Check the following guidelines before starting the installation process:
- use this post only with the Verizon HTC One Max devices.
- do not try to update any other different HTC One Max models with the files listed in this post.
- your device needs to be on a rooted firmware and a custom Recovery has to be installed on it.
- the CWM and TWRP Recovery versions are working with this guide as long as their latest version is installed, one that supports the latest Android 5.1.1 custom ROM installations.
- in the 'how-to' part of the article you will find two extra preparation steps like the NANDROID ROM Backup and the Factory Reset ones.
- the NANDROID ROM Backup creates a complete copy of the ROM that's currently installed on your device.
- you can use the backup in order to fix your device in case the new CM 12.1 ROM doesn't boot successfully after the installation is done.
- the 'factory reset' step needs to be applied in order to remove the old ROM from the system partition and allow the new CM 12.1 ROM to boot in normal mode.
- factory resetting the device will remove all installed apps.
- if you need to save any data from installed apps, then you can use the Helium app.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- check the battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from powering off during the installation.
- use this post only if you are an advanced user.
- we cannot be held responsible in case you brick your device nor in case you lose any data in the process
- read the whole post first and do not skip any steps.
After you complete the installation and you test run the new CM 12.1 you can continue installing future new builds using the CyanogenMod Updates menu. It can be found under Settings> About Phone section.
How to flash CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Stable ROM for Verizon HTC One Max:
- Download the CM 12.1 SNAPSHOT zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 5.1.1 ROMs from here.
- Connect the phone to PC and move both zip files on to your device's internal storage.
- after you've transferred the files you can disconnect the phone from computer.
- do not unzip the files.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM first:
- CWM: select 'backup and restore' option.
- TWRP: select 'backup' option.
- set a name for the file and confirm process.
- Now you can 'factory reset' the device:
- CWM: select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
- TWRP: select 'wipe' options.
- Start the CM 12.1 Stable ROM installation:
- CWM: select 'install zip from sdcard', then 'choose zip from sdcard'.
- TWRP: select 'install'.
- Find the CM 12.1 SNAPSHOT zip and confirm the installation.
- After the ROM is flashed you can install the Gapps using the same instructions as in step 7 to find the file.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode after all the new CyanogenMod 12.1 files are flashed.
Use your default Google account info in order to take control over your device.
If the installation of CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Stable ROM fails to install successfully, then you will be forced to try and repeat the whole guide more than once. If you do repeat the guide, then make sure not to skip any steps and that your Verizon HTC One Max device meets all the requirements listed above the tutorial.