The official Android 8.1.0 Oreo OTA images are now live for the Google Nexus 6P devices. Check the info listed in this post in order to learn how to manually complete the firmware update for your smartphone.
The Android 8.1.0 official upgrade brings the following new changes with the new OS: new Wallpaper-based theme, new Power Menu just like on the Pixel 2 phones, battery levels now can be seen on the Bluetooth settings screen, revamped Settings page, a new Oreo Easter Egg, the Keep Wifi On During Sleep option will be removed, from now on Apps will only show a single notification alert per second, "Apps Using Battery" notification dismissal is supported in Oreo 8.1, Semi-Transparent Quick Settings panel, and more.
Check the following guidelines before starting the flashing process:
- use this guide only with the Nexus 6P smartphones.
- don't use this guide for other different devices.
- you can flash the new Android 8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.011, Dec 2017) build only over the previous Android 8.0.0 (OPR5.170623.014, Dec 2017) or (OPR5.170623.011, Nov 2017).
- don't try to flash over any other different Oreo versions.
- your Nexus 6P phone has to run a complete stock Android 8.0 Oreo OS, as you cannot install an official OTA image over a custom ROM.
- this is a tutorial that needs to be used only by advanced users.
- we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- check battery charge level and make sure that there is enough power left before the device switches off.
- you need to enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- if you can't find Developer Options it means that this menu is hidden and you have to enable that first: go to Settings> About Phone and tap seven times on the Build Number text.
- the Developer Options menu will now be listed under Settings, open it and enable USB Debugging.
- read the whole post and do not skip any step.
Now that you know all that you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash Android 8.1.0 OTA Update for Google Nexus 6P:
The first thing that you need to do is to setup the Android ADB and Platform-Tools drivers, as these files will help your PC detect the Nexus 6P when connected via usb cable.
Here's how to do that:
- Download Platform-Tools for your OS from the links below:
- for Linux click here.
- for Mac click here.
- for Windows here.
- extract the archived contents and place them all in a new folder called Platform-Tools.
- download and install the Android Google usb drivers from here.
Install Android 8.1.0 Update for Nexus 6P:
- Download the Android 8.1.0 archive from here.
- After the download is completed successfully you should change the file name to a smaller one like update.zip
- this will allow you to load and flash the file easier.
- Move the update.zip to Platform-Tools directory.
- Switch off the smartphone.
- Boot the Nexus 6P in Recovery Mode.
- You have to select apply update from adb option from Recovery options.
- Connect the Nexus 6P to PC via usb cable.
- make sure that the phone has been detected by the PC and continue to the next step.
- Get to the Platform-Tools folder and launch a Command Prompt / Terminal screen there.
- Enter the following command line in order to start the Android 8.1.0 update: adb sideload update.zip
- Confirm the install.
- When installation is done you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
Unplug the phone from PC and wait for the restart to be completed.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the new Android 8.1.0 official update for your smartphone.
If you need more help completing the tutorial you should tell us in comments.