As I’ve already told you during another tutorial that’s available for the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1, in order to take full advantage of your phone’s performance you first have to apply a few tweaks, customizations and optimizations. Well, in that respect today we will detail a new process that can help you further tweak your device: replacing the stock recovery image with a custom recovery software – shortly, we will be checking on how to install TWRP recovery on your Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1.
TWRP recovery is therefore a custom recovery software that can be now installed on the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1. But why should you choose to use a custom recovery image instead of the default recovery environment?
Shortly, with TWRP recovery installed, you can choose how to change the stock Android firmware in order to bump speeds, upgrade battery life and improve general performance. If through the stock recovery you can access the Android core system but you are dealing with different restrictions, with TWRP recovery you have unlimited access and endless possibilities. In that respect, once you complete the guidelines explained below, you can successfully initiate operations like: gaining root access, installing apps from other sources than Google Play, flashing custom ROMs such as Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android, adding custom kernels and MODs, removing bloatware, overclocking or undervolting CPU frequencies, make Nandroid backups and lot more.
As you can already tell, replacing the stock recovery image with TWRP recovery isn’t an official process. Therefore, if you choose to resume the steps explained below you are going to lose your Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 warranty – the warranty can be restored only if you decide to reinstall the stock Android OS on your phone.
Additionally, before going to apply this step by step guide you should backup your Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1. A general backup is recommended because, in some situations, while flashing TWRP recovery your data might get corrupted or even erased. So, if you have important files stored on your handset and if you want to avoid unpleasant situations, you should first save your contacts, call logs, texts, images, calendar info, saved passwords, videos, audio files, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and everything else that might be required afterwards. You can complete a general backup in less than 5 minutes by choosing to use backup and restore apps from Google Play, by using built-in cloud storage services pre-loaded on your Zenfone Max Pro M1 or by syncing certain files with your own Google account.
You can successfully install TWRP recovery on your Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 only if you first review the list from below – there I have listed the essential pre-requisites that must be applied first:
- You have to unlock the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 bootloader as a custom recovery image cannot be flashed otherwise.
- You need to use a computer and your phone’s USB cable – at some point you will have to connect your smartphone with your PC.
- On your phone you need to enable Developer Options – navigate towards About Phone; there start tapping repeatedly on Built Number until the ‘you are a developer’ message is displayed.
- From Developer Options (under ‘Menu – > Settings – > Developer Options’) you then have to check the ‘USB Debugging’ feature.
- On the computer that will be used you have to install Android SDK; so, learn how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux or how to flash Android SDK on Windows.
- Also, the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 drivers must be installed on your computer as otherwise you cannot successfully complete the steps explained below.
- Make sure that on your device there is more than 50% power left; if the power is low you have to plug in the charger first – otherwise your handset can get switched off while TWRP recovery is installed, situation during which different software related issues might be caused on your phone.
- Remember that this step by step guide is compatible only with the already mentioned Android based device. Don’t use the steps from below if you have another handset as you can end up in soft bricking its Android system.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1
- Open your computer and access this page. From there download the TWRP recovery package that’s available for your Zenfone Max Pro M1.
- Save the custom recovery image on desktop and rename it into ‘recovery.img’.
- Finally, transfer the recently renamed package inside the Android SDK folder.
- From there, open a command prompt window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and while doing so right-click on any blank space; then from the list that will be displayed choose ‘open command prompt window here’.
- Switch off your smartphone and wait while the power off process is completed; then press and hold the Power and Volume Up buttons together, for a short while just until fastboot mode is reached.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- In the cmd window type ‘fastboot flash recovery recovery.img’ and press Enter.
- Now, TWRP recovery will be automatically installed on your Zenfone Max Pro M1.
- Close the cmd window in the end, remove the USB cable and reboot your handset.
Good job. Now you can access and use TWRP recovery on your Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 – you can easily enter recovery mode by using this dedicated tutorial. So, there you have it; that was how you can replace the stock recovery with a custom recovery platform. You can tell us how this flashing procedure worked for you and for your smartphone by using the comments field from below. Also, stay close if you want to learn other tweaks or useful tips and tricks available for your Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1.