The Galaxy Note 10.1 is one of the best Android based tablets available, but in order to properly use its performances you should unchain and update its system. For that first, you have to unlock the bootloader, root the OS and then flash a custom ROM firmware. But, if you want to complete the above mentioned operations, you also have to install a custom recovery image on your handset. Because of that, today we will be checking on how to install TWRP Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8013, the flashing procedure being explained during the following lines.
TWRP Recovery is a custom recovery image used on the Android system by those who want to have more access to the internal system of their devices or by those who are looking forward in applying customization, optimization, maintenance, backup and restore operations. The tool come with many features, the best part being that by using the same you can easily flash custom ROMs on the Android platform. Now, the present tutorial has been first developed by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks; else we couldn’t learn how to install TWRP Recovery on the Galaxy Note 10.1
TWRP Recovery is similar with CWM recovery the difference between these apps being in the features included. The most relevant aspect is related to the touch capability. By using TWRP recovery you will be able to navigate through the app menu by taping on the Galaxy Note 10.1 screen and not by using the side-buttons like you need to do when it comes to CWM recovery. Therefore, TWRP recovery brings a better user interface that can be easier used by the Android customers. The installation procedure is similar for both tools, so you have nothing to worry about.
Of course the Galaxy Note 10.1 must have an unlocked bootloader or else you will not be able to complete this step by step guide. This means that the warranty of your tablet will be void. Unfortunately this is happening because you are making changes in the internal system by unchaining the same from the factory restrictions. Anyway, the warranty can be easily restored by downgrading the Note 10.1 to stock ROM, or by updating with an official software released by Samsung; then the bootloader will be relocked and the root access (if previously granted) revoked.
Also, you need to backup the data which is being saved on the internal storage memory of your device. This is a precaution operation, but it is recommended not to skip it. It is extremely unpleasant to notice that you have lost all of your personal saves (messages, contacts, EFS, market apps and so on) after installing the TWRP Recovery tool.
Then, a computer with internet connection enabled should be near you as well as the handset and its USB cable. Enable the USB debugging option on your device and charge its battery before going any further. Deactivate or even uninstall the Firewall, antivirus and any other security options and programs from your computer and Galaxy Note 10.1.
This guide can be applied only by those who own the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 model number N8013, as this version of TWRP Recovery will work only for the mentioned tablet; installing the same on a similar handset can brick the device, so be careful in what you choose to do.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy Note 10.1 N8013
- Download and install Odin on your computer.
- Download the app from here.
- On the computer open Odin.
- Download KIES and install the proper drivers for your device.
- Then, turn off the tablet and reboot it in download mode.
- The Galaxy Note 10.1 can be rebooted in download mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons.
- With the device in download mode take the USB cable and connect the Note with the computer.
- Once you do that on Odin the ID:COM section should be yellow and the “added” message should be displayed.
- If not re-install the drivers and re-do the steps from above.
- From Odin now select “PDA” and then pick the update file which was downloaded before.
- Click on “start”.
- In the end, the “pass” message will be displayed meaning that you can unplug the USB cable and reboot the tablet.
- Reboot by pressing the Volume Up and Power buttons in order to enter into TWRP Recovery.
- If you somehow get a boot loop, reboot in recovery mode and from there select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; then choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” and you are done.
Congratulations, your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8013 has been installed with the TWRP Recovery custom recovery image. This means that now your tablet is being prepared for more complex operations; you can look forward in updating your tablet with a custom ROM firmware and improve its performances as now you can do all this and more.
If you had problems while trying to complete the above explained method, use the comments area and share the issues with us. Also, share your questions or thoughts with us and with other users who might want to complete this step by step guide for their Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.