TWRP recovery for Honor 8X is available so you can anytime choose to set up this custom recovery image on your device. The reasons why you should replace the stock recovery with TWRP recovery will be discussed during the following lines. There we will also review the implied risks, we will talk about the essential pre-requisites that must be first followed and, in the end, we will detail the flashing steps that must be applied on your Honor 8X in order to enjoy a stable and a smooth TWRP recovery experience.
TWRP recovery is a custom recovery image designed for the Android system. It is a third party app used in terms of tweaking possibilities. Thus, with this third party platform you can extend your Android access and you can, in the end, choose to customize, optimize and personalize your Honor 8X. So, unlike the stock recovery image, TWRP will run without restrictions meaning that you can initiate custom operations that aren’t supported by your OEM or by Google – after all, from recovery you can have access towards the built-in Android system.
Anyway, as it should be already obvious, flashing TWRP recovery is not an official operation. The custom recovery image has nothing to do with Google, thus as a conclusion you are going to lose your phone’s warranty flag - the warranty can be afterwards restored but only if you choose to reinstall the official / stock Android firmware on your Honor 8X. From this perspective you have to be careful as if something wrong happens you will be by yourself.
Once TWRP recovery is set up you can, as already outlined, tweak your Honor 8X through different custom operations – here are some examples in that regard: you can flash a custom root package and enable root access on your Android device; you can make a Nandroid backup and save the current Android UI that powers your handset; you can install custom MODs and kernels; you can update your smartphone with custom ROMs such as Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android; you can remove bloatware; you can add features which cannot be found on the stock Android OS; you can install apps from other sources than Google Play; and you can overclock or undervolt your Honor 8X.
A general backup should be first completed on your Android device. A wipe might be initiated during the TWRP recovery flashing process, so you should first secure what’s important for you and what might still be required afterwards – mainly we’re talking about general stuffs like contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and similar other packages. Do note that, in that respect, you can already use the built-in cloud storage apps added by Huawei; other backup and restore solutions: use an external storage device; sync your data with your Google account; download already tested apps from Google Play.
Keep in mind that this is going to be a manual flashing operation. So, do prepare the following things:
- A computer must be used and there the Honor 8X drivers must be installed.
- Your smartphone and its USB cable are required.
- On your phone the USB Debugging field must be check - you can do that by accessing Developer Options.
- If Developer Options cannot be accessed from General Settings navigate towards About Phone and there start tapping (repeatedly) on Built Number until the ‘you are a developer’ message is displayed.
- On the computer that will be used the Android SDK toolkit must be installed. So, learn how to install Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- Charge your handset if it runs on low power – just plug in the charger if the power that’s left is lower than 50%.
- Note: if your Honor 8X will get turned off while TWRP recovery is being flashed, you can end up in soft-bricking your device, so try to avoid such unpleasant situations as much as possible.
- Setting up TWRP recovery will work only if your phone runs on an unlocked bootloader – so do that first: learn how to unlock the Honor 8X bootloader by using our dedicated step by step guide from here.
How to Install TWRP recovery on the Honor 8X
- Download the TWRP recovery package that’s available for your Honor 8X. Download the file from this page and place it on desktop first.
- Then, transfer the custom recovery file inside the Android SDK folder.
- From that location open a command prompt window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and while doing that right-click on any blank space.
- Power off your phone and wait while the switch off process is completed.
- Afterwards, reboot fastboot mode on your Honor branded device.
- Next, connect your phone with your computer by plugging in the USB cable.
- In the cmd window type ‘adb devices’. The Honor 8X IMEI Number should be returned; if that isn’t happening, reinstall your phone’s drivers on your computer and retry.
- Return to the cmd window and execute this command: fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp-kirin.img.
- Now the TWRP recovery image will be automatically flashed on your Honor 8X.
- When done, remove the USB cable, close the cmd window and also reboot your smartphone.
- That’s all.
Good work as hopefully now you can access and use the TWRP recovery platform on your own Honor 8X – you can learn how to reboot your Android device into recovery mode by using our tutorial from this page. Now, in the end, test the TWRP recovery functionality and do tell us how everything runs on your smartphone. Also, share your tweaking plans and tell us which customizations do you recommend for other Honor 8X users – you can quickly get in touch with our Android community by using the comments field from below.