Using a custom recovery image on your LG V10 is extremely important and useful, especially if you are an advanced Android user who wants to gain more access over the internal system of your own device. That’s why, during the following guidelines I will explain you how to install the latest version of TWRP recovery on the H901 model of the LG V10. Also, by reading the lines from below you will learn why to replace the stock recovery with a custom software, what are the advantages related to this operation, which are the risks implied and how to prepare your phone for the actual flashing process.
Your LG V10 is currently running on the stock Android recovery image. This is a hidden environment through which you can perform several maintenance and optimization procedures like applying OTAs, making a hard reset or clearing app data cache. But, if you will want to take care of more dedicated or complex operations, you won’t be able to succeed because the stock recovery is loaded with various factory and default restrictions.
So, this is when you have to take action. If you want to take your LG V10 to a higher level of performance and if you want to get rid of those annoying restrictions, you must consider in installing the TWRP recovery software. Through this custom recovery image you will be able to tweak your Android device with ease as you will be able to apply procedures like: gaining root access, flashing custom kernels, updating with custom ROMs, making Nandroid backups, removing bloatware, overclocking your Android device and lot more.
Well, basically that’s why you should choose to flash a custom recovery image on your LG V10. But, if you do decide to complete this guide, also keep in mind that this will not be an official operation – the steps from below can’t be associated with Google or with LG as the TWRP recovery software is developed by third party devs. Thus, now you will lose the warranty of your device – starting from now, taking your phone back to service will imply in paying for the technical assistance. Anyway, you have nothing to worry about; if you follow everything from this guide, you and your phone will be in safe hands.
As for the TWRP recovery software, you should know that it is based on CWM recovery, the classic custom recovery image that is compatible with the Android system. Moreover, the TWRP recovery system offers an intuitive touch based user interface and useful features which can be used without problems even by newbies who are on their first custom recovery experience.
Now, if you want to resume the flashing process from below, first take care of the essential pre requisites, which are being explained during the following list:
- Backup your LG V10 – before each custom operation a backup should be ensured, just as a precaution measure.
- For the backup you can use a cloud storage platform, a computer, a SD card or different other backup and restore apps from Google Play.
- Through all these backup tools you can then save contacts, call logs, texts, IMEI / NVRAM, images, videos, audio files, market apps, Internet settings and anything else you might use afterwards.
- You have to unlock the LG V10 bootloader as a custom recovery software can be applied only on an unlocked system.
- You have to use a computer on which you should temporarily turn off antivirus and other security protection tools – these apps can interfere with your work.
- Moreover, on your PC the LG V10 drivers must be installed along with Android SDK – learn how to flash Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- On your phone you need to gain Developer Options; this represents a hidden menu that can be accessed on your device by tapping several times on Built Number.
- After doing so, access “menu – settings – developer options” and check the USB debugging option.
- Check the battery status on your handset – plug in the charger in case the battery level is currently lower than 50% (your phone might get soft bricked if it will get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure).
- Check the version number of your LG V10 – it should be H901. Don’t install the TWRP recovery package from below on any other Android based device.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on LG V10
- Download the TWRP recovery file from this page; save it on your computer.
- I recommend you to rename the recovery file into something that’s easy to remember, such as “recovery.img” or “twrp.img”.
- Connect your LG V10 with your computer, with the help of the USB cable.
- On your computer access the Android SDK folder and from there open a command prompt window: press and hold Shift keyboard key while right clicking on any blank space.
- Now in the cmd window enter “adb reboot bootloader” and wait while your smartphone is being entered into bootloader mode.
- Next, type “fastboot devices” and check if your LG V10 is listed; if not, reinstall its USB drivers before doing anything else.
- Good, now enter “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” (replace recovery.img with the TWRP recovery file that you have on your computer).
- You now have to reach the recovery environment; so enter in the cmd window: “fastboot boot twrp.img”.
- Once you are in TWRP, allow it to mount system as read/write.
- That’s it; in the end select “reboot” if you want to go back to stock Android OS.
Good job; you have successfully installed a custom recovery image on your own LG V10. So, use the TWRP recovery software in order to customize and optimize your Android device – in that respect, stay close as we will bring further dedicated step by step guides and other useful Android related tips and tricks.