Are you searching for a safe and quick method that can guide you through a custom recovery image installation process? If you are, and if you want to do it on your brand new OnePlus 6 then you are in the right place. During the following guidelines we will be detailing the easiest way in which TWRP recovery can be flashed on the OnePlus 6. But, before heading towards the flashing steps, make sure you review the rest of the essential pre-requisites – there we will include the advantages and the risks that are implied in this situation.
A custom recovery image is a dedicated environment that can be installed on the Android system. The goal is to ensure a mode through which the default Android system can be accessed and then changed. Now, on your OnePlus 6 you can already use the stock recovery mode, but by default you can only initiate official operations through this recovery platform – such as making a hard reset, clearing app data cache or manually applying a new OTA. Thus, if you want to extend your access and remove the factory restrictions you will have to replace the stock recovery with a custom recovery image.
And, in that respect we will be using the TWRP recovery platform. TWRP recovery is based on CWM recovery and is pre-loaded with a touch based interface along with useful features which can easily guide you through different custom operations. Yes, that’s right, once TWRP recovery is installed you can tweak your OnePlus 6. And, here are a few examples of custom operations that can be applied from this custom recovery image: you can install a custom ROM firmware, you can gain root access, you can remove bloatware, you can make a Nandroid backup, you can overclock or undervolt CPU frequencies and so much more.
This TWRP recovery build is developed and offered by those of xda-developers so we must thank them for this tweaking opportunity. Moreover, flashing a custom recovery is not a process supported by your OEM or by Google. Thus, as a general conclusion, by following the steps available below you will risk in losing the OnePlus 6 warranty. Note: the warranty can be afterwards restored but only if you choose to reinstall the stock Android firmware, situation during which the stock recovery image will be also reinstalled.
You should also consider in making a general backup on your OnePlus 6 before choosing to flash TWRP recovery. That must be done because during the installation process you can end up in losing important files such as contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, saved passwords, IMEI / NVRAM data, EFS folder and anything else that wasn’t there from day one. A general backup can be quickly applied by choosing different backup and restore methods such as: syncing certain files with your own Google Account, using already built-in cloud storage services or downloading already tested backup and restore apps from Google Play.
This is going to be a manual operation so a computer will be required – your OnePlus 6 and its USB cable are also needed. On your phone you now have to enable Developer Options: just go to About Phone and tap, for 7 or 10 times, repeatedly on Built Number – keep tapping until you receive the ‘you are a developer’ message. Afterwards, go to Menu - > Settings - > Developer Options and check the USB Debugging field.
Just before starting the TWRP recovery flashing process, verify the amount of power left on your handset. The best will be to ensure at least 50% power before doing anything else – otherwise, your smartphone might get soft-bricked right while you try to add the custom recovery image (malfunctions can be caused if your OnePlus 6 gets turned off in the middle of the flashing operation). So, if required, plug in the charger.
Make sure your handset is running on an unlocked bootloader – first of all, learn how to unlock the OnePlus 6 bootloader.
Of course, resume the guidelines from this tutorial only if you own the already mentioned Android based device – stick to the steps from below and try not to mess things up.
How to Quickly Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6
- Power on your computer and go to this page.
- From there download the TWRP recovery package and save it on desktop – unzip this package in the end.
- From the resulted folder make sure you keep the TWRP file and the op6-twrp.img package on your PC.
- Transfer the rest of the files on your OnePlus 6 – just connect your phone with your computer and copy-paste the unzipped files.
- When done, keep your handset connected with your PC.
- Navigate towards the Android SDK folder and open a command prompt window: press and also hold the Shift keyboard key and right-click on any blank space; then choose ‘open command prompt window here’.
- In this cmd window type ‘adb reboot bootloader’ and press Enter – bootloader mode will be automatically reached on your phone.
- Next, in the same cmd window execute the following commands: ‘fastboot flash boot_a twrp.img’ followed by ‘fastboot flash boot_b twrp.img’.
- Now, reboot your Android device into recovery mode: press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons together for a few moments.
- When asked, enter your password in order to access the TWRP recovery interface.
- By default, the software will be in Chinese – for changing the default language you need to: press and hold the Power key and the Volume Down button until the screen goes black and comes back again; tap on the third row button from the top-right corner (the Settings ones) and select the Globe icon; pick English and confirm.
- Now, use TWRP recovery and install the rest of the files you transferred before – tap on Install and pick/flash the op6-boot.img, op6-TWRP-Working-Installer.zip and the op6-TWRP-Blue-FIX.zip packages.
- When that’s done, return to main menu of recovery and reboot your OnePlus 6.
- That should be all.
Perfect; TWRP recovery is now running on your OnePlus 6. You can learn how to reboot your device into recovery mode menu by using our dedicated step by step guide from here. Also, in the end, don’t forget to share your experience with us and with other users who might want to follow this tutorial – you can share your thoughts with us easily and quickly by using the comments field from below. Enjoy and stay close for more Android related tips and tricks available for your OnePlus 6.