The new OnePlus 6T can be easily tweaked because it shares the same hardware platform and the same software system with the OnePlus 6. Thus, almost all the custom operations that are available for the OnePlus 6 can be now used on the 6T model. Well, in that respect today we will check how to successfully set up a custom recovery image on your device – we will use the latest version of TWRP recovery, so stay close and read all the lines explained below in order to make everything work without experiencing issues.
TWRP recovery is therefore a custom recovery image that can be now successfully used on the OnePlus 6T. This custom software is here to offer extended access towards the built-in Android UI in term of tweaking possibilities. Unlike the stock recovery image, TWRP recovery will run without restrictions so you can choose to apply different customizations and optimizations for improving the overall Android experience and for improving general performance on your new OnePlus 6T. Of course, setting up TWRP recovery can be done only by following a dedicated process during which the stock recovery environment will be replaced.
So, you are going to apply an unofficial process – TWRP recovery is a custom platform that cannot be associated with OnePlus or with Google. Therefore, the OnePlus 6T warranty will get void once you start to apply the steps explained below. Anyway, you shouldn’t worry, as the warranty flag can be restored if that will be required – in that respect you will have to reinstall the official Android OS on your phone, situation when the stock recovery image will be reinstalled too.
If TWRP recovery can be booted on your Android device you can choose how to customize, optimize and personalize your OnePlus 6T. So, in the end you can gain root access, you can make Nandroid backups, you can remove bloatware, you can add complex apps from other sources than Google Play, you can update your smartphone with custom ROMs (such as Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android), you can overclock or undervolt CPU frequencies and so much more.
An unlocked bootloader must be ensured first. Yes, unfortunately you cannot flash a custom recovery image unless the bootloader is unlocked. Therefore, take your time and use our dedicated tutorial and learn how to easily and quickly unlock the OnePlus 6T bootloader.
Afterwards, return here and backup your personal data, info, accounts and files that are currently saved on your handset. A backup is important because while TWRP recovery is installed a wipe might be initiated. Thus, choose to protect your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, EFS folder, IMEI / NVRAM data and similar other packages which might be still required afterwards. Such a general backup process can be applied within minutes as you can choose to use built-in cloud storage services, or you can sync different files with your Google Account; also, you can choose to use dedicated and already tested backup and restore apps available on Google Play.
A computer must be used if you want to resume the steps available below. On that computer set up the OnePlus 6T drivers and then install Android SDK – if you don’t know how use our tutorials: learn how to install Android SDK on Windows or how to set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
On your phone enable Developer Options: from About Phone start tapping repeatedly on Built Number and do that until the ‘you are a developer’ message shows up. After enabling Developer Options access this field from General Settings and afterwards check the USB Debugging feature.
Finally, charge your device before installing TWRP recovery. Plug in the charger if your phone runs low on power – if the power left is lower than 50%. A sudden shut down might mean a soft-bricked Android UI: different malfunctions can be caused if your handset gets switched off while you try to flash the custom recovery image. Therefore, charge your device first for avoiding such unpleasant situations.
How to Install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 6T
- Switch off your Android device and wait a few moments. Afterwards reboot bootloader mode on your handset.
- When done, connect your OnePlus 6T with your computer via USB cable.
- On your computer download the TWRP package that’s available for your phone from this page.
- Rename the recovery file into ‘recovery.img’ and transfer it inside the Android SDK folder.
- From that path now open a command prompt window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and right click on any blank space; then select ‘open command prompt window here’.
- In the cmd window first execute ‘fastboot devices’. The OnePlus 6T serial number should be returned meaning that you device was successfully recognized; if not, reinstall your phone’s drivers on your computer and then retry.
- Next, in the same cmd window type ‘fastboot boot /path/to/recovery.img’. Note: replace /path/to/ with the actual location to the TWRP recovery file.
- Your smartphone will automatically boot into TWRP recovery. From there go to Advanced - > ADB Sideload’ and choose Swipe to Start Sideload.
- Return to the cmd window and execute: adb sideload /path/to/recovery.img’.
- The custom recovery image should be now automatically installed on your OnePlus 6T.
That should be all. Hopefully now you can reboot your OnePlus 6T into recovery mode – you can use this tutorial in that respect. Do note that in TWRP recovery you can use a touch-based interface so using the built-in options will be quite intuitive. Do test the custom recovery platform and share your experience with us and with other users who might rely on your opinions. Also, tell us how you plan to further customize your OnePlus 6T now that a custom recovery can be used and stay close as we will bring more step by step guides that will teach you how to safely improve the OnePlus 6T performance.