If you are ready to start the tweaking procedure for your Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 I am here to assist you. During this tutorial, and afterwards during another dedicated step by step guide, I will show you how to install TWRP recovery and how to root your Android based device. So, after completing these two custom procedures you will manage to prepare your tablet for other tweaking operations through which you can unleash the full potential of your handset.
So, first we will begin with the TWRP recovery installation process. Thus, by using the steps from below you can safely replace the stock recovery software with a custom environment in order to establish a proper connection with your tablet’s internal system – through the custom recovery image you will gain exactly that: an extended connection between you (as the general user) and your Galaxy Tab A 9.7 Android core system.
TWRP recovery is based on CWM recovery which is one of the best custom recovery images that you can use on the Android system. This recovery environment is coming with an intuitive interface as it features a touch based UI. Moreover you can use extremely useful built-in settings through which you can afterwards easily customize, optimize and personalize your Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7.
The flashing process will consist in using Odin as the flashing program – Odin is a dedicated tool developed and offered by Samsung and usually used on update types of operations. Thus, from this perspective you have nothing to worry about – you won’t be using third party apps or complex and risky tools.
As you will notice this step by step guide can be used only if you own the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 with model numbers T550, T555, P550 and P555. If you have any other Android based device don’t use this guide for installing TWRP recovery – you will only manage to soft brick your tablet or your smartphone, so be careful.
TWRP recovery is a third party software developed by third party devs. This flashing operation isn’t supported by Samsung or by Google and the KNOX will be tripped. Overall, you are going to complete an unofficial operation which will make you lose your Galaxy Tab A 9.7 warranty – unfortunately, this aspect can’t be avoided in any manner; after taking care of the steps from below you will be by yourself so if something wrong happens you might have to learn how to manually address the implied Android soft related problems.
During the TWRP recovery installation process you might have problems with your personal data, info, accounts and files – in other words, your data might get corrupted or wiped out. Therefore, use backup and restore solutions and save everything that you might have to use afterwards – including system files such as IMEI / NVRAM data, internet settings or EFS folder. Save these files by using dedicated apps from Google Play, by syncing your data with your account or by using built-in cloud storage platforms.
Odin can be installed on a Windows powered computer – make sure you can use such a device. On the computer you are planning to use, first install the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 drivers – you can easily get the proper drivers by using the Samsung KIES utility. Then, on your tablet access the following path: “menu -> settings -> about device”; from there tap 7 times repeatedly on Built Number – you will gain Developer Rights on your handset. Finally, from “menu – settings – developer options” then check the USB Debugging option.
Charge your tablet. This is an important aspect: if the charging process isn’t performed your Tab A 9.7 might get turned off right in the middle of the TWRP recovery installation process – and in that case your device might get bricked. So, plug in the charger if the power left is currently lower than 50%.
Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 (for T550, T555, P550 and P555)
- First of all, on your computer download the required TWRP recovery package – for the T550 model go here; for the T555 version access this page and for the P550 model go here while for the P555 variant go towards this page.
- Save this file on desktop if that’s possible.
- Download Odin; unzip this package and then install the program by following on screen prompts.
- Run Odin when you are done.
- Switch off your tablet. Don’t reboot it – press and hold the Power key for a few moments or press the Power button once and select “power off”.
- Reboot download mode on your Galaxy Tab A 9.7 – press and hold the Power, Volume Down and Home buttons at the same time, for a few moments.
- Connect your tablet with your computer with the help of the USB cable.
- Once you do so check Odin: the “added” message should be displayed on your program and the ID:COM field should be turned yellow or blue – if not, try to reinstall the USB drivers before retrying the steps from above.
- From Odin now click on the AP option and then load the TWRP recovery file.
- Don’t check the Re Partition and Auto Reboot options. Finally, click on Start.
- Wait while the flashing process is being completed.
- When done, the “pass” message will be displayed; also the ID:COM field should be now green.
- Unplug the USB cord and reboot your device.
- During the steps from above Odin can get stuck. If that occurs, close the program, disconnect your tablet from your computer and reinstall its USB drivers once more. Then, force restart your Tab A 9.7 and repeat all the steps from the beginning.
Also, in isolate situations your tablet might get stuck in a boot loop during the final reboot. In that situation you must access the recovery mode menu from where you need to make a hard reset and to clear app data cache by choosing the following options: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
That should be all. TWRP recovery can be now accessed and used on your Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 (T550, T555, P550 and P555). Stay close as we are going to show you how to gain root access on your tablet in a new dedicated step by step guide. Enjoy.