Xiaomi Mi A2 is a great device that’s here to offer high end performance and a pure Android experience, everything for a fair price. If you’re already using the Mi A2, then you will like to hear that a custom build of TWRP recovery has been successfully booted on the default MIUI system. Well, if you’re ready to tweak your device, you should further check this step by step guide – the guidelines explained here will teach you how to successfully set up TWRP on your own Xiaomi Mi A2.
TWRP recovery is the custom environment through which various tweaks can be applied on your Xiaomi Mi A2. It is a virtual path through which you can access the Android system and further modify it in order to obtain more from your device. TWRP recovery will replace the stock recovery image that runs by default on your phone and will extend the built-in capabilities of the recovery environment – from stock recovery you can apply only official procedures (such as making a hard reset, clear app data cache or installing new OTAs) while from custom recovery you can perform unofficial procedures.
In that respect, here are a few examples of custom operations that can be successfully completed on the Xiaomi Mi A2 once TWRP recovery is installed: you can remove bloatware, you can set up custom MODs and kernels, you can flash root exploits, you can add apps from other sources than Google Play, you can update your smartphone with custom ROMs such as Lineage OS, AOKP or Paranoid Android, you can overclock or undervolt CPU frequencies, you can save the current Android OS by making a Nandroid backup and so much more.
TWRP recovery is a custom recovery image so it is a custom software developed by third party devs and which cannot be associated with Xiaomi or with Google. So, completing the steps explained below will imply in performing an unofficial operation – you are going to lose your Xiaomi Mi A2 warranty if you choose to install TWRP recovery.
An unlocked bootloader is required on your smartphone – otherwise the stock recovery image cannot be replaced with TWRP recovery.
Also, make a general backup before going any further – your personal data, info, accounts and files might get corrupted or erased while the flashing operation is being completed. So, on your Xiaomi Mi A2 choose to use built-in cloud storage services; or choose to sync files with your Google Account, or to download and use dedicated backup and restore apps available on Google Play. Bottom line, just make sure that in the end you can successfully secure everything that wasn’t there from day one, including stuffs like contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet settings, calendar info, IMEI / NVRAM data and so on.
A computer is needed if you want to follow and apply the steps from this tutorial. Of course, your Xiaomi Mi A2 and its USB cable must be near you too. And, on your smartphone you need to enable Developer Options as from this field you then have to check the USB Debugging field. Note: if you cannot find the Developer Options entry displayed under general Settings you will have to go to About Phone from where you need to tap repeatedly on Built Number until the ‘you are a developer’ message is displayed.
A charging process might be required at this point – that’s why you first have to verify how much power is there left on your Xiaomi Mi A2. As a general recommendation, you shouldn’t start the TWRP recovery installation process if the power left is lower than 50% - when the power is low your phone might get turned off in the middle of the flashing operation and then different software related problems might be caused (you can risk in soft-bricking your Android device).
Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A2
- First, power on your computer and download the TWRP recovery file that’s compatible with your Xiaomi Mi A2 – you can get this package from this page.
- Save the custom recovery package inside a different folder, on desktop.
- On your computer set up Android SDK: install Android SDK on Windows or set up ADB on MAC OS X / Linux.
- From that location open a command prompt window: press and hold the Shift keyboard key and right-click on any blank space; then select ‘open command prompt window here’.
- Switch on your smartphone and connect it with your computer – do so easily, by plugging in the USB cable.
- In cmd execute this command: adb reboot bootloader. Bootloader mode will automatically reboot on your Xiaomi Mi A2.
- Next, in cmd type ‘fastboot flash boot_b TWRP-3.2.3-jasmine-20180804.img’ and press Enter – make sure you type the correct file name in cmd.
- TWRP recovery will be set up in the B partition of your device.
- Also, set the B partition as the active partition by entering in cmd: ‘fastboot set_active b’.
- Now, on your phone hold down the Volume Up button and while you still pressing on this key run this command in cmd: fastboot reboot.
- You should be able to access the recovery mode menu now. When asked, enter the password and let the system decrypt in recovery mode.
- If you’re asked to ‘keep system read only’ select ‘keep read only’ in order to allow for system modifications.
- That should be all; TWRP recovery is now running on your device.
- Before going back to Android mode remember to switch to partition A from recovery mode.
- Close the cmd window and reboot your smartphone.
- That’s it.
This step by step guide should easily show you how to install TWRP recovery on the Xiaomi Mi A2. However, if you still have questions, or if you cannot manage to successfully set up the custom recovery image you shouldn’t panic; just use the comments field from below and share all your problems with us – based on the info you provide we will try to assist you as soon as possible. Enjoy and stay close for further tweaks available for your Android based device.