The official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update is now being rolled out over-the-air for all the Galaxy S6 Edge+ users on Sprint’s network. Check the guidelines listed in this post if you want to learn how to flash the brand new firmware manually without waiting for the official update to arrive in your region.
The Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow brings Doze, Apps Permissions control, and tons of other extra goodies and improvements that should offer you one of the best possible Android OS ever seen on a Samsung device.
These updates are rolled out over-the-air normally, but not all users are going to receive the new Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow bump at the same time, which is why you can always choose to manually apply such changes using a 3rd party tool like ODIN. Before starting the installation process of this new firmware you should check the guidelines below:
- use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus model number SM – G928P.
– check the model number of your device by going to Settings> About Phone.
- don’t try to update any other different Samsung devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- download and install the Samsung USB Drivers here on your computer.
– these drivers are going to allow your PC to detect the phone and for Odin to flash the official update files without any problems.
- Odin is a small app designed for Samsung users who are looking to update their devices manually without waiting for the official OTA update files to arrive in their region.
– for ODIN to work you will have to make sure that no Samsung official tool is opened on your computer and that the antivirus app isn’t blocking it from opening on your PC.
- if you are installing the update over a rooted firmware, then you should know that root access won’t survive the update.
– also, any custom Recovery you might have installed on your phone is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery.
- you can flash the new official Update over a custom ROM, too.
– but, this will force you to factory reset the device’s system partition.
– the ‘factory reset’ steps are listed at the end of this post.
– factory resetting the phone is going to remove the old custom ROM and allow the official Android 6.0.1 firmware to boot in normal mode.
– the ‘factory reset’ is not going to delete any data files from the internal storage of your phone.
- if your Galaxy S6 Edge Plus SPRINT device is running 100% stock Android, then you can continue straight to the installation steps as the update will be completed without any problems.
- read the whole post and do not skip any steps.
- this guide has to be used by advanced users.
– we cannot be blamed if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
- check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that there is at least 50% left before the device switches off completely.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before starting the installation process.
How to flash Android 6.0.1 G928PVPU2BPC3 Marshmallow Update for Sprint Galaxy S6 Edge Plus:
- Download the G928PVPU2BPC3 Android 6.0.1 firmware archive from here.
- When the download is done you can extract the archived contents and save them on your PC.
– you will obtain the G928PVPU2BPC3 tar.md5 firmware file.
– do not unzip the tar.md5 archive.
- Download the Odin3 v3.10.7 from here.
– extract the Odin files and save them on your PC.
- Power off the device.
- Boot the device in Download Mode.
- Launch the Odin exe on your PC.
- Connect the phone to PC via USB Cable.
– wait for the ODIN app to detect the device.
– if no phone is detected you will have to reinstall the Samsung USB Drivers.
- In ODIN options you have to make sure that the ‘re-partition’ option is disabled.
– don’t edit any other default Odin options.
- Click on the AP button in Odin and you will be told to locate and load the G928PVPU2BPC3 tar.md5 file.
- Hit the START button in order to confirm the installation of Android 6.0.1 update.
– do not press any buttons during the installation, wait for the update to be completed.
- When the Android 6.0.1 is flashed you will see the PASS alert in ODIN and your phone should reboot.
– wait for first boot process of this new ROM to complete.
- Unplug the phone from PC when the ‘optimizing apps’ menu appears on its screen.
- Use your default login info in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation of the Android 6.0.1 update using Odin. Remember that the first boot process of this new official firmware will take at least 10 minutes before it completes and you should simply wait for the login screen.
If you’ve encountered any problems during the installation, then you should check the extra info below.
If ODIN shows the FAIL alert or any other errors are shown during installation, then you should try to repeat the whole tutorial more than once.
If you repeat installation, then you will need to re-read the guidelines above the tutorial and to make sure that your phone meets all requirements listed there. Also, make sure not to skip any steps.
In case your device shows the PASS alert, but your device enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen for more than 10 minutes, then you will be forced to try and factory reset the device.
The ‘factory reset’ steps below should be applied by those that have installed the Android 6.0.1 update over a custom ROM, too. Here’s how to that:
- power off the phone.
- Boot the Recovery Mode by holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
– release the buttons when the Recovery Mode menu loads.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- reboot phone in normal mode and you are done.
If you need more help completing the update you can tell us in comments.