Samsung has released the official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for all the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus G928F devices.
In case you don’t want to wait until the official firmware update arrives in your region, then you should check the guidelines below and learn how to manually install Android 6.0.1 on your phone.
The new Android 6.0.1 update comes over the air and it is released in stages. The firmware listed below has first been sent to Kazakhstan users but it is destined to be used on Galaxy S6 Edge Plus International models. Marshmallow OS upgrade comes with tons of extra features and tweaks that should offer you one of the best Android experiences.
Before starting the installation process of this new official firmware you should check the guidelines.
Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus with the model number SM-G928F.
Check the model number of your device under Settings> About Phone> Build Number.
Do not try to update any other different Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
Download Samsung USB Drivers for your computer from here. You have to install these drivers on your computer, so that the Galaxy S6 Edge+ device will be detected and allow Odin tool to flash all the new Marshmallow firmware files.
ODIN is a small tool that is destined for Samsung advanced users that are looking to update their phones manually. For Odin to open on your phone you should make sure that the usb drivers above are installed and that the Samsung KIES software is disabled.
KIES will block Odin from flashing any new firmware files on your phone.
Enable USB Debugging for your device from its Developer Options menu.
If you can’t find the Developer Options menu then you should unlock it by going to Setting> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section.
Return to Settings, scroll down and open the Developer Options menu.
If your device has been rooted, then root access will be completely lost. Also, any custom Recovery you might have installed is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery Image.
You can install the Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 firmware update over a custom ROM, then the updating process should work, but you will need to ‘factory reset’ the device. Factory Resetting your phone will remove the custom ROM and it will permit the Android 6.0.1 official ROM to boot in normal mode.
The ‘factory reset’ process doesn’t delete any data from internal storage.
All the factory reset steps are listed at the end of this tutorial and you will have to apply them only after the update is done.
If your device is running 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this post.
Read the whole article first and do not skip any steps.
Check your device’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, as it will prevent the device from powering off during the installation process.
This tutorial is destined to be used by advanced users only. Do not blame us in case you brick your phone nor in case you lose any important data in the process.
How to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update for Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus G928F:
- Download the G928FXXU2BPB6 Android 6.0.1 zip from here.
- After the download is done you need to unzip the contents of the zip and save them on your PC.
– you should get a single G928FXXU2BPB6 tar.md5 firmware file.
– do not extract the firmware file.
- Download Odin3 zip from here.
– extract the Odin contents on your PC.
- Power off your phone.
- Now boot it in Download Mode.
- Launch the Odin exe on your computer.
– wait for the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus to be added by ODIN and then continue to the next step.
– if no device is recognized by your PC, then you will be forced to reinstall all the Samsung USB Drivers.
- Go to Odin, click on the “options” tab and make sure that ‘re-partition’ option is disabled.
– continue to the next step when you’re done.
– do not edit other default Odin settings.
- In ODIN click on the AP option. This will tell you to find the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow updating file.
- Locate the G928FXXU2BPB6 tar.md5 firmware file and load it in Odin.
- Hit START button in order to begin the updating process.
– don’t press any buttons until all the new firmware files are done installing on your smartphone.
- When the update is completed you should see the phone rebooting and the PASS alert will be shown by ODIN.
– note that the first boot process of this new official firmware is going to take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use your usual login info in order to regain complete control over your device once again.
These were all the steps you had to take in order to update the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OS using ODIN.
If the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN, then the update wasn’t completed successfully and you should repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat the installation of this new official firmware, then you should make sure that your device meets all requirements and that you won’t be skipping any steps that we’ve listed in this post.
If the PASS alert is shown by ODIN, but your Galaxy S6 Edge PLUS device gets stuck at the boot animation screen or it enters in a boot loop, then you will be forced to factory reset the device.
The ‘factory reset’ steps below should be applied by those that have installed the Android 6.0.1 firmware update over a custom ROM, too. Here’s how to do it:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- reboot your smartphone in normal mode.
If you need more help completing this guide, then you should tell us in comments.